A Conversation for Notes From a Small Planet

TXT MSG SPK

Post 1

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Most Abreveations come from ether old english Abrevs' and Programming lanuage santax. I love to know the guy that though 'wouldn't it be great if we got lazy and forgot that the more we type the better we become.' because I'd like to shake him warmly by the throat! who ever thought of the text message was probably high on somthing at the time,
now don't get me wrong not all things generated by the net are compleat buturers smilies are a well formulated was of expessing what you mean, smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --


TXT MSG SPK

Post 2

Ormondroyd

I totally agree with you. smiley - cheers

I've just seen another particularly excruciating example of TXT MSG SPK on someone's Personal Space, too. smiley - yuk

But I would like to emphasise that I have no problem at all with text messaging in itself - only to people using TXT MSG SPK where it's not necessary or appropriate. Like here on h2g2, for instance.


TXT MSG SPK

Post 3

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I'd like to make an example MSG is a pice of code for VB and C++ also know as MSGBOX this code calls up one of thouse anoying boxes asking you things or telling you that somthing on your computer has died.
Why use it anywere else, whats wrong with message, Oh look it took me less that a second to type that whole long word I must have the patiants of the world! come on guys stop being 1) Lazy 2) atempting to be cool, because both are not hat good!

-- DoctorMO --


TXT MSG SPK

Post 4

Ormondroyd

Yes, I imagine that people use TXT MSG SPK here because they think it makes them look smiley - cool. They think it says: 'Look everyone! I'm far too busy with my sex, drugs and clubbing lifestyle to type out whole words or switch off the Caps Lock! And not only that, but I can afford a mobile phone!'

Actually, what it says is: 'I'm lazy and/or too stupid to notice that I'm on the Internet now, not on my mobile.' smiley - yuk


TXT MSG SPK

Post 5

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

For people who use the Caps Lock, please Don't! use Shift thats what it's there for, even if your a one finger typist your realy don't need to use the caps lock!!

Whatch this...

qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm

QWERTYUIOP
ASDFGHJKL
ZXCVBNM

Oh look so they are all there on the keyboard for some reason I thought the people at IBM had missed of some vouls of somthing.

-- DoctorMO --


TXT MSG SPK

Post 6

Ormondroyd

smiley - laugh LOL! (Takes off Caps Lock). smiley - ok


TXT MSG SPK

Post 7

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I got a faeiry friend and he always types out full words on text messages, although his buttons are getting worn out, I'm sure the recipents can apecate the efert, before we all revert back to... Ug Uh Ug Ug Er Ug Er Ar Ug!

-- DoctorMO --


TXT MSG SPK

Post 8

Mistdancer-X-sporadically coherent

Agrees

I don't like seeing text speak here either, or CAPS!
But in their defence, I think a lot of this is coming from newbies from the Telewest site. They all seem to know each other already!
I'm not sure, but is this related to Telewest Digital TV? If so, then they may be using keypads, like mobile phone keypads, rather than keyboards. That would explain a lot of it smiley - winkeye
Maybe we should point out to them when we see it that it's really not the done thing here on H2G2..politely, of course smiley - biggrin

smiley - elf


TXT MSG SPK

Post 9

Ormondroyd

My comments about TXT MSG SPK in this week's 'Notes' certainly weren't intended as an attack on the Lost Tribe of Telewest, if that is indeed what they are. I've noticed bits of textspeak creeping into h2g2 long before this week, but had spotted an increase recently. I wrote the column before I realised that we seemed to have acquired a small crowd of newbies all from the same place. (I did see the name of it somewhere - Leisure something?)

You may well be right about the keypads. That would also explain why some of them seem to have nicknames in which words are separated with underscores, like_this. The only worrying thing about them as far as I'm concerned is that they seem to think that h2g2 is a chatroom. I've seen a couple of places where one of them has set up a thread just asking for 'chat', getting either no replies or bewildered replies.

Perhaps someone is going to have to break it to them that it doesn't work that way around these parts. Frankly, I think I retired as an ACE just in time, and I wish you ACEs and Guardian Angels all the best in sorting it out! smiley - bigeyes


TXT MSG SPK

Post 10

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

You think.... maby they are so excoed at the thought of 'the internet' that they loose all english vocab and downgrade to this auto-ENG (US)

Oh one more point, will all you stupid web page desiners from the states releise that there is no such thing as English (US), OK it's just English, maby with a few words in difrent places, right, and if you are going to put English (US) please would you put English (UK) or British Thanks You!

-- DoctorMO --


Key: Complain about this post