A Conversation for Mac or PC- which is better?

"PC" != "Windows"

Post 1

Vlad_the_Astonishing

The whole article refers to "PCs" this and that, when the author is really talking about PCs running Windows.

PCs running GNU, Linux, BSD or other Unix-like implementations are an important distinction. Linux users hate Windows even more than Mac zealots do.

Linux computers avoid many of the headaches of Windows, but have a crowd of their own. The PC Linux experience is wholly different from the Windows experience, and has its own advantages and disadvantages. It is silly to lump the two together.

You're right about the taskbar problem in Windows--until you alter the taskbar to be larger. Even that has a limit. Linux OSes avoid this problem altogether with several GUI choices. Linux desktop environments like KDE and GNOME provide multiple desktops--an easy way to have many, many applications open all without clutter. The elegance and choice, in my opinion, blows both the unrefined Windows and the patronizing MacOS clean out of the water.

I mostly want to point out that "PC" is not equivalent to "Windows." It irritates us Linux users when people confuse the two as synonyms.


Key: Complain about this post

"PC" != "Windows"

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more