Life

3 Conversations

(it's interesting that there's no entries on "Life" yet)...

Life

Classifications of Life

There are certain things that classify life.
1) Breathes: inhales one type of gas and exhales another.
2) Reproduces: creates offspring
3) Eats: consumes nutritional substances
4) Excretion: excretes waste
5) Responds to stimuli: responds to external stimulation

If an object has these qualities, it is alive.
Example:
A human being is alive because it breathes in oxygen and exhales carbon dioxide, it reproduces by having children (through a complicated process called sex), it eats, it excretes waste from food, and it responds to external stimuli, such as sound, touch, pain, etc.
Fire is not alive. Fire "breathes" (more consumes) oxygen and releases carbon dioxide, it "eats" wood and other flamible objects, it "excretes" ash, it reproduces by spreading. However, fire does not respond to external stimuli.

Theories on Life

There are many beliefs about life. Some people believe life is a gift, and you must treasure it. Some believe it is a punishment, and you must endure it. Others still believe it is a ride, and you must wait for the end.
There is no correct theory of life. Life is just that, life. It is not totally understood, yet it is not a total mystery.

The Meaning of Life

Some people spend their lives searching for meaning. This is a paradox because this in effect means the meaning of life is to search for the meaning of life. Others think the meaning of life is to be happy, fufill some sort of ultimate goal, find eternal youth, or some other pointless quest. In the end, all life, from bacteria to primates, have only one goal: to be born, procreate, and die. Preserve the species.

Life After Death

No one is certain what happens after death, the end of a life. Primative humans used to believe in a plethora of things. Some theories included an underworld where your heart was tested against the weight of a feather, a dark cave, a river of tortured soals, or a paradise. Most of these beliefs are based on some sort of religion. Most modern religions believe in one of two afterlives: A hell, in which people are tortured for eternity, or a heaven, where people may live in peace forever.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A610561

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more