A Conversation for Talking Point: Technology that's Supposed to be Helpful... but Isn't

Mini Radios

Post 1

Danté - Member of the campaign to call our country Yes Man's Land!

I was flicking through one of those high-tech catalouges you get, with all the new inventions in, and I came across an "ear radio", which is only slightly larger than a normal earpeice, but is a self-contained radio, No wires or anything. "Wow" I say, " What a great idea for all those boring maths/english lessons i have to put up with".
So I send off for it (£19.99) and I get it back a few weeks later. Slightly bigger than it shows in the catalouge, and also in a lovley bright yellow casing, that even my half-blind english teacher could spot a mile off. But this was nothing to my horror when i discovered that the batteries lasted, wait for this, 14 minutes. Yes 14 minutes! They are those little hearing aid batteries that are about a fiver each, and it takes two! So I save up, buy some more batteries, fit them, and start listening again. Just slightly less than quarter of an hour later, I am again listning to silence.
So thank you, technology, you've really done one on me here.

Dave


Mini Radios

Post 2

Xanatic

Hehe, that sounds amazing. An piece of technology where the batteries only last 14 minutes. That must be a record of some kind. I think the 4 hours of a Discman is bad enough.

I´ve bought a portable radio, kind of like a walkman. It has power for several weeks with a normal AA battery.


Mini Radios

Post 3

gj101

I've got a radio-hat!
(I didn't buy it - it was given to me as a joke birthday present).

It's a baseball hat with two AA batteries above one ear and the radio circuit above the other ear. Its not a bad radio and the battery life is quite good. There is one small problem though ... if you turn your head, even half an inch, it loses the station!

gj101


Mini Radios

Post 4

Xanatic

Hehe, that sounds pretty cool. I also bought this radio you could put right on your ear. But I don´t use it as I realised how stupid you really look walking around with an antenna on your one ear. smiley - smiley


Mini Radios

Post 5

Xanatic

Okay, imagine that I put this smiley instead smiley - martiansmile


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more