A Conversation for Talking Point: Technology that's Supposed to be Helpful... but Isn't

Idiots and Gadgetry

Post 1

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

It seems clear to me that there is a direct link between the number of brain cells a person owns and their urge to do pointless things, like subject lettuce to high G forces in whirlers and produce homefizzed versions of easily available brandname soft drinks in products like the famous 'SodaStream'.

The inventors of these items are therefore doing the rest of us the world of good by suppling these maniacs with outlets for their neanderthal urges to make cheese toasties at light speed.

As an example of what can happen when such a specimen of humanity is deprived this important pschotherapal crutch we need only look to the example of an aquaintance of mine who did not have access to a modern appliance for crushing ice. This deprival (in the stressfull, hectic and hardworking world of a student house) led to a red mist forming before his eyes and obscuring to him a simple truth. The truth that pummeling large ice cubes in his housemate's pestle and mortar, with a force previously used by his ancestors to break the skulls of prey with thigh bones, would lead to two inevitable outcomes. Firstly the destruction of the Mortar, in spite of being made of strong earthenware, by the force of the pestle; and secondly the invention of a whole new and painful use for the pestle by its owner when he came home.

So thank god for these stupid inventions and their creators. Without them we may have had our ability as a race to grind corriander seeds by hand in the 21st century seriously compromised.

Does anyone else have anymore evidence of the depths technology addicted humanity can sink to when deprived of their gadgets?


Idiots and Gadgetry

Post 2

Fruitbat (Eric the)

No specific examples; I just keep thinking about people who cannot live without a t.v. in the house.

....although I do go through email withdrawal if I'm away from the computer for more than a few days in a row.

Fruitbat


Idiots and Gadgetry

Post 3

Researcher 182562

A TV in the house - I know a lot of people that have at least one in every room! And now they are putting them in minivans?? Now, there's a brilliant idea!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more