A Conversation for Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Flea Market: A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 1

Steffi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A598746

I just wrote this entry half an hour ago. I found nothing about Mary Stuart in the guide, and I think that she is a very interesting historic person. Hail! Hail! smiley - winkeye


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 2

Will Of God

I agree with the need of an entry, but isn't this a little sparse?


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 3

Azara

At the very least, the Dauphin should be Francis or Francois, not Franz. I'd agree with Will of God - this is very sparse.

Just to take one point, the whole situation at the French court when she married the Dauphin deserves some explanation: the influence of her Guise uncles, the conflict with her mother-in-law Catherine de Medici, the French Catholic view of Mary as the rightful Queen of England - books have been written about all these events before she ever went back to Scotland.

Azara
smiley - rose


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 4

Steffi

There are many things I did not explain, for example how her father died or the problenms about her marriage with Darnley. But I never meant this as a whole biography but as a short introduction!


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 5

Steffi

oh, and... I changed Franz (the name I found in most books, maybe because it is easier for Germans to read)into Francis. Not Francois, because my keyboard doesn`t allow the french letter I would need.


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 6

Orcus

An interesting topic definitely. I have to agree that its too sparse though smiley - sadface
There is no biographical detail just a list of events with dates. It would be lovely if you could flesh this out with stuff about Mary's personality and the politics of the time.
One thing was that she was beautiful and Elizabeth was dour and so she was kind of like the Princess Di of her time - this upset Elizabeth and was partly to blame for her jailing. At least that's how I remember it.

Have a look at this article on Joan of Arc for an example of the sort of thing needed for a guide entry of this sort smiley - smiley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A403543

Please keep working on this - its an essential for the guide.

Orcus


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 7

Steffi

thanks very much indeed; I think it might be worth working on it a little more! Gimme some time and I will do my best to improve the entry!


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 8

Researcher PSG

I have to agree this is to sparse and has fact without context.

I also have an axe to grind about the portrayle of Mary (sorry about the pun). At the time she was trying for power woman who wanted to advance had to learn courtly politics and manipulation. Mary played heavily on her vunerability and good looks, whereas Elisabeth played on her natural head for politics and sharp intellect. Now they both have there good points and bad points but they where as bad or good as each other. The only difference is Mary miscalculated, played the wounded martyr and ended up as one. Her court playings should never be taken at face value, you would have to take into acount the hidden implications and the thoughts behind each plot.

Basically what I am saying is she was not just a poor waif, she mearly played one to try and get what she wanted.

Researcher PSG


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 9

caper_plip

Hi!

Sorry to rub it in but it is a bit sparse...

A minor addition I'd like to make is that Mary was actually engaged to the future Edward VI in their childhood, but this fell through because of the Protestant/Catholic situation. You could also perhaps give a small explanation of this religious/political situation - for example, the Pope recognised Mary as the true Queen of England and not Elizabeth - again, another Protestant/Catholic view on things at that time.

The chronological layout is fine, but it would seem less impersonal if whole paragraphs for each of them were written, maybe with a bit more explanation.

Perhaps, on a lighter note, you could acknowledge the Monty Python sketch which highlights 'The Death of Mary, Queen of Scots' in a more humorous fashion.smiley - laugh Goes a bit like this:

Executioner: You are, Mary, Queen of Scots?
Mary: (weakly) I am.

(CUE SOUND OF SMASHING, SCREAMING, SAWING, DRILLING, BEATING, SNAPPING ETC.)

Executioner: I think she's dead.
Mary: (weakly) No I'm not!

(CUE MORE SMASHING, SHOOTING, EXPLOSIONS ETC.)

With some more work, this could be a winner!smiley - ok

Caper Plipsmiley - tennisball


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 10

Steffi

Yeah, right, I will include that engagement. I admit that I simply forgot it. Thanks!!! Oh, and to all the ppl who are going to tell me that it is sparse: I know!!!!


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 11

Demon Drawer

It is a little sparse. However I'm still attempting to get my h2g2 University Project written on Great Royal Women, which includes Marie de Guise, Mary Stuart's mother. If you'd like any addition notes I've already got or want any advise on how to extend it just let me know either here or at my space.

As this article stands at the moment it would not get unto the approved guide. There needs to be a little flesh to the bones a few interesting anicdotes about Mary's life, for example her relationships with John Knox and her cousin Elizabeth I, Queen of England. Also a little detail about her three marriages and her aleged affairs have plenty of good material to make this list of facts into an article that will enhance the guide and have a lot of interest to a lot of people.

Hope this is of some help. Look forward to seeing the re-write. smiley - smiley


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 12

Steffi

Thanks for your offer, I would love to read what you already have. I never meat this biography to be a full life story of Mary, just a few notes on her biography. But obviously quite many people are interested in it, so I think I am going to re- write it as soon as I got more material.


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 13

Demon Drawer

Ok I'll see what I can do then. smiley - smiley


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 14

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Hey Steffi, is there any more news on this one?
You've got a lot of good stuff in there, but I think perhaps it needs to be expanded, rather than just written out as a timeline.
It's an interesting subject, and I'd love to see it polished up for the Guide.

Swiv


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 15

Steffi

Hi there,
I am already writing a new version, but it might take me a wee bit longer.


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 16

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

very cool smiley - smiley


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 17

Munchkin

Ooo, write this new version. For a bloke from Scotland I don't know enough about the Reformation and Mary's life, so I am very interested. I look forward to this with bated breath smiley - smiley


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 18

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hey, Steffi -- any progress on this one? If you think you'll need some help working on it, we could move this thread to the Writing Workshop, where friendly souls will pop by and lend a hand.

smiley - aliensmile
Mikey


A598746 Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

Post 19

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Well, here is another one that is creeping steadily towards the flea market -- only has a few days left...

smiley - sadface
Mikey


Thread Moved

Post 20

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'The Flea Market'.


Key: Complain about this post