A Conversation for Southwestern US Researchers Group

walking in memphis

Post 1

You can call me TC

Can one of you guys tell a poor ignorant English person what "Walking with my feet ten feet off the beal" means?


walking in memphis

Post 2

Perry Winkle & pussfoots

I always assumed it referred to a state of elation... it is said that when you're happy your feet don't touch the ground. Just a guess.


walking in memphis

Post 3

You can call me TC

Hmm - I thnk I'd like a second opinion on that. There are so many lovely words from the South that I'm sure this is something very specific to the area like bayou and so on.


walking in memphis

Post 4

soeasilyamused, or sea

i think so too, being that i've never heard it before. *shrug* smiley - erm


walking in memphis

Post 5

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Beale Street is an avenue in Memphis' historic district. Local advertising calls it "the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock and roll." It used to house a lot of music venues and bars. It's mostly casinos, restaurants and tourist shops now.

"Walking ten feet off the ground" is a Southern expression for elation/catharsis. It indicates a sort of dazed drifting along. Marc Cohn is also referencing the Biblical miracle of walking on water. There are a lot of shadowy religious references in the song, which makes sense when you're talking about the Deep South.

And by the way... Could you add me to the list for this group? I live in Denver and missed the last meet because I didn't hear about it in time. smiley - sadface My birthday's August 5th, btw. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more