A Conversation for The Allure of Consumerism

A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 1

Zaphod II

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A593921

Shopping, next to T.V. viewing, has become a national pasttime. We are completely immersed in it as a culture. We simply can't get enough of it. This entry explores the desirous nature of shopping and what maintains our consuming passions. The seductions of advertising and the global impact of voracious consumerism are identified as key elements deserving universal attention. Commercial TV and game shows have become synonymous. The entry offers an analysis of a TV show dedicated entirely to consumerism, its popularity highlighting the degree to which shopping as a pursuit has infiltrated the very core of our collective psyche.


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 2

purplejenny

Top article, Zaphod. i love the glittery sparkly eye. Its a good subject to cover, but maybe too much of an opinion piece for the edited guide.

Perhaps of you played down the 'Supermarket sweep' bit, (maybe into a separate, well justified rant) and included refs to Naomi Campbells 'No Logo' and suchlike, you could get it to the front page.

But basically YAY! Good read.

purplejenny


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 3

il viaggiatore

There seems to be a paragraph under "The Shadow Side of Consumerism" that contains nothing but a period. It makes for a very large blank space. Did you do this on purpose?


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 4

il viaggiatore

There seems to be a paragraph under "The Shadow Side of Consumerism" that contains nothing but a period. It makes for a very large blank space. Did you do this on purpose?


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 5

Zaphod II

No, but thanks for pointing it out. Now rectified.smiley - ok
Zaphod smiley - cdouble


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 6

Zaphod II

Ta for your comments, purplejenny. You will need to fill me in about Naomi Campbell's "No Logo" and suchlike. . . .I'm in the dark on this one.
Zaphod smiley - cdouble


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 7

LL Waz

Re 'Consumerism, as an individual pursuit, is therefore a force to be reckoned with.......' I agree with what you say here but is consumerism in itself a problem? We all have to consume to some extent to survive. And this 'force to be reckoned with' can be used to influence the transnational corporations that now have so much power through such things as the Fairtrade initiative and consumer boycotts.

I'm not saying this should be in the entry, you've titled it the allure of consumerism and this sort of targeted consumerism doesn't fit that. But it may fit in with the Shadowside piece. I've heard it said that in the West consumer power can be more influential than the ballot box. I just think it's an interesting aspect of consumerism. I think it's an alluring idea, that you can exercise power by the choices you make when you buy smiley - smiley. It's just a thought. I think there maybe quite a lot more that could be said under this section and then would be out of proportion to the rest of the entry.

As for the rest of the entry, I enjoyed reading it. I suspect there may be economists who would argue with some of what you say in the Shadow section.


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 8

Ormondroyd

I agree with purplejenny, apart from one thing: "No Logo" was written by Naomi Klein. Naomi Campbell is a famous model! smiley - biggrin
Otherwise, yes - this is an excellent read, but in its present form it's probably too polemical for the Edited Guide.
It would make a great article for the "h2g2 Post", though, and its appearance there would not prevent a modified version making it into the Guide at a later date. It would be pretty topical if you submitted it for next week's "Post" too, what with the G8 talks and the accompanying protests going on this week.


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 9

Zaphod II

Hi Ormondroyd. How do I go about placing it in the h2g2 post?


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 10

Ormondroyd

Zaphod - if you go to the Post Office, http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U54963 , the contact details are there. The best idea is probably to e-mail Shazz, the editor, and there's an e-mail link to her on the Post Office page. smiley - ok


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 11

DoctorGonzo

Hmm, I'm going to be a bit perturbed if I turn up to an event at the Edinburgh book festival, only to find Naomi Campbell. smiley - laugh

There's a phrase - conspicous consumption - that was coined by famous sociologist whose name I can't remember, that you might want to include somewhere. Also, I remember a cultural studies lecture that discussed shopping as a cultural experience that is not simply dictated by the capitalists who own the shops smiley - smiley. I'll try and dig out the textbook tonight at home, but I'm not sure if I still have it. I'm not sure if the Napier University website has any lecture notes on-line...

Just a coupla suggestions smiley - smiley,

smiley - cheers

DG


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 12

purplejenny

smiley - doh

Well don't i feel an idjit. Naomia Klein. Doof.

*regains composure after a while*

Anyway 'No Logo' is about how brands have become powerful through advertising, and how the shininess of the brand contrasts wildly with the s**tiness of the production. She argues that brands are trying to 'co-opt emotions', taking the place of real tribes, real emotions, real feelings.

For example, have you seen that British Telecom advert that features the whole world seated in an Ampitheatre? Thats not advertising anything in particular, just encouraging us consumers to feel warm and fuzzy about communication, and to associate communication with BT. Like Coke adverts where sharing the brown fizzy stuff represents friendship, and Nike adverts where ownership of the swoosh replaces actual sporting achievement.

If you are interested in this kinda stuff, you may want to look up Adbusters. They advertise against adverts, a bizarre art/politic thing called culture jamming.

Sorry i took a while to respond, I'm very busy with RL w*rk atm

lotssa love

purplejenny


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 13

DoctorGonzo

There's also a nologo website - its an [URL details removed by moderator]rather that a [URL details removed by moderator]- nudge, nudge, smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

DG


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 14

Zaphod II

Thanks purplejenny smiley - smiley. Well I suppose Naomi Campbell has herself become powerful through advertising, being a little shiny in the modelling industry.
I couldn't agree more with you. There is this (what Ben Elton calls) *a reality gap* between what the product promises and what the consumer gets. For instance, I've just seen a glowing ad for the rail network - full of smiling faces of satisfied (smug) passengers and squeaky clean trains running on the dot, ad nauseum - completely bizarre in the context of the recent disasters. Insults the intelligence, doesn't it?
Have you a website for Adbusters? You've aroused my curiosity.
Zaphod smiley - cdouble


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 15

purplejenny

Like nologo, adbusters is an [URL info removed by moderator], not a [URL info removed by moderator]. For total info overload, check out Zmag, another fine [URL info removed by moderator].

have fun!

pj


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 16

DoctorGonzo

Tsk - I've lost my moderation virginity. Thought I was cleverer than the moderaters - sorry guys *waves* smiley - smiley

There is an adbusters website as well, and it should be quite easy to find. In reference to ads - not many of them seem to advertise the benefits of the product, rather than how much better your life will be if you buy it. A lot prey on anxiety as well (see the anxiety culture website or Frank Furedi's work). The one off the top of my head is the mobile phone one along the lines of "don't let your phone be another embarrassment"

It's not a car/drink/shoe/whatever - it's a *lifestyle choice*

DG


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 17

Ormondroyd

There is a link to the very fine Adbusters website on my Personal Space. Look towards the bottom of the page, under the "Meanwhile, elsewhere in the galaxy..." header, or in the Referenced Sites list, and you should be able to find it. (And the site is well worth the effort). smiley - ok


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 18

Ormondroyd

There's now a link to the brilliant "Anxiety Culture" website on my page too. Thanks, DoctorGonzo and purplejenny - I've discovered some fascinating sites via this thread, despite the Moderators' best efforts! smiley - winkeye


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 19

Zaphod II

Kinda got lost on yer homepage Ormondroyd. What an amazing array of links. Yes, Adbusters and CulturalAnxiety are really down my street and have added them to my favourites. Isn't Shipley John Peel country? Has the rioting died down in Bradford (and I always thought it was a cool place to live)- maybe it still is.
Cheers smiley - ale
Zaphod smiley - cdouble


A593921 - The Allure of Consumerism

Post 20

DoctorGonzo

Hurrah - another convert to anxiety culture smiley - smiley
(or rather, the abolition - or at least the recognition - of it smiley - winkeye )

I'd recommend White Dot, but they're web sit isn't that good, IMO - good aims, though.

BTW, Ormondroyd, you might like to chip in at the That's My Bush! thread on h2g2 - seems right up your street, as far as I can tell from your articles.

DG


Key: Complain about this post