A Conversation for Argentina

Argentina

Post 1

hunteflas

In his/her article ID A59195 says: "Argentina is best known as a country whose people may be described, accurately if unkindly, as Italians who speak Spanish but think they are English."

I have to say that this is a good description of Argentinian people in my experience (See also final paragraph below). However, on with the meat of my posting. I have visited Argentina on a number of occasions and found it to be a fascinating country, filled with many contrasting peoples and places.

It can be conveniently divided into sections for the benefit of the tourist. North; South; East and West.

The north includes the spledour of the Iguazu waterfalls - undoubtedly one of the great wonders of the world. Salta is probably the best location for a base from which to visit the north. I have stayed at, and recommend the "Petit Hotel" in Salta (has a website). This hotel is situated a couple of minutes walk from the bus station and less than ten minutes from the town centre - and is inexpensive. The Andes are included in all but the eastern section of the country and vary in height and scenery from high Andes through to the southern Andean hills and lakes.

South and East include the Patagonian wilderness and such touristy things as Southern Right Whales and Elephant seals. Penguins and such odd creatures as rhea and Guanaco abound in this wild scrubland. There is an excellent museum in Trelew, with a specimen (leg bones) of Argentinasaurus - possibly the world's largest ever sauropod.

In the west you can find the brewtown of El Bolson and laketown of Esquel. The Patagonian railway at Esquel still operates for tourists using steam locomotives. Also in the west is the lake district and Bariloche - the lakeland capital.

To the south one finds El Calafate - the gateway to the southern hills and lakes, including the glaciers. Further south still is the land of fire: Tierra Del Fuego. Divided between Argentina and Chile this is a remote land and a stepping stone to the Antarctic. Cruises can be joined here.

Internal flights are a bit iffy at present. The only airline to survive recent upheaval is the national ariline Aerolineas Argentinas. It is not cheap and not totally reliable in my experience, but it works and always gets you there in the end. Although not cheap, it is cheaper than similar flights within the UK.

I have always found Argentinians to be welcoming and friendly people and would recommend a holiday there without hesitation. I hope this has whetted the appetite af those of you who have managed to read this far.

Good luck and happy travelling.
Hunteflas.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Argentina

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more