Henotheism

1 Conversation

This is Week Thirty of Giford's Bible Study Programme.

And Naaman said, Shall there not then, I pray thee, be given to thy servant two mules' burden of earth? for thy servant will henceforth offer neither burnt offering nor sacrifice unto other gods, but unto the LORD.

- 2 Kings 5:17

Length: 2/5

Controversy: 0/5

This seems, at first, a very strange verse. Once you've wrapped your head around the grammar1, we are left with the puzzle of why sackfuls of Earth would be needed to worship YHWH.

The answer is (probably) to be found in the ancient idea of 'henotheism'. This is the belief that there are many gods, each having power over a certain area of land. It is likely that YHWH started out as a tribal god of the Hebrews, who they believed would fight on their side against the gods of rival tribes. It was only later - probably around the time of the Babylonian Exile - that the idea that YHWH was the only God - monotheism - arose.

So here we have a trace of that ancient, henotheistic belief. Naaman needs Palestinian soil to worship YHWH because YHWH is the God of Palestine and its inhabitants, the Jews.

1Although I've been using the King James Version throughout this series, the NIV is clearer here: 'If you will not,' said Naaman, 'please let me, your servant, be given as much earth as a pair of mules can carry, for your servant will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the LORD.'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A58750671

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more