A Conversation for Bobbing for Apples

Not a Halloween Person

Post 1

deackie

Halloween has never been widely celebrated where I am from but being a true Kentish girl, apple bobbing has been one of the fine traditional activities I have taken part in over the years. It's usually done in the summer. I have fond childhood memories of a summer party on a friends fruit farm, bobbing for apples surrounded by orchards.

I have also played the game where sweets have to be extracted from flour. It's fun to do as part of an It's A Knockout type race. The competitors race along the track and at the first "hurdle" have to put on various items of cumbersome clothing, when they reach the second "hurdle" they have to bob for apples and almost immediately after they have to find sweets in flour. This works very well as a team race as there is more incentive for competitors to throw themselves in to the task whole-heartedly for fear of reproval from fellow team-mates. On a hot summers' day, all competitors get very flustered and very mucky. (Top Tip: Never wear hair long and loose in this type of competition, it takes a long time to wash the paste out.)


Not a Halloween Person

Post 2

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

OKay, shall mention the South smiley - smiley.

You dont feel like writing an It's A Knockout entry I dont suppose?
I have plenty of games on my wee list already, but an IAK entry really ought to exist if it doesnt already, and could certainly contribute to the Masquerade Project.

But then I guess if you are just pootling you won't want to smiley - biggrin.


Not a Halloween Person

Post 3

deackie

Ask me on the evening of Friday 13th July (da,da,da). My essay is due in that Friday morning so my workload will decrease considerably. Of course I am supposed to be searching for journal articles at the moment and not on h2g2 and ghost watching (great site with web-cam for watching for ghosts). At the moment if I stop and think about RL I feel so overwhelmingly stressed I feel sick, so I won't bother right at the moment. For the moment I have to be satisfied with just pootling.


Not a Halloween Person

Post 4

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Oh deary me smiley - smileysmiley - hug, I too should be stressed about RL, but unfortunately I'm not scared yet, and I need to be to ever even think about a deadline, and it's so soon that I leave Kaiserslautern I have no idea how I shall fit everything in smiley - smiley

Writing an entry on Games for the Road is probably not the answer though smiley - biggrin.

Neither would be starting an Animal Vegetable MIneral thread, but I am tempted smiley - smiley


Not a Halloween Person

Post 5

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

HOws that?


Not a Halloween Person

Post 6

deackie

Well, if you can't resist the temptation, let me know the URL of the thread smiley - biggrin. Deadlines are for wimps, Friday 13th isn't my deadline, it's an extension.


Not a Halloween Person

Post 7

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F70199?thread=124735 :-D:-D:-D As for the deadline, the end of this month is when I leave this university here in germany forever, and go back to Edinburgh via my holiday, so I dont really see much extension potential to be honest :)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more