A Conversation for The Chopper Motorcycle

A586596 - The Chopper

Post 1

geckomind

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A586596

I looked for articles on chopper motorbikes in the Guide, because I'm a real chopper fan, but I could only find entries on the subject of motorbikes in general.
I hope my article will explain some basic things about chopper bikes and is interesting and informative. It is just a short summary but I included what I think is the most important.

Aleksius


A586596 - The Chopper

Post 2

Crescent

Nice wee article smiley - smiley The name came into being after the Second World War, when the returning GI's bought up war surplus Motorcycles, and as you said literally chopped off the bits they didnae want smiley - smiley Also it is the name of a late '70's bicycle, with the 'chopper' handlebars smiley - smiley I enjoyed this Entry, a nice expansion for the Motorcycle one smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


My Entry.

Post 3

geckomind

G'Day!
Thanks for the feedback! I think it's great, that you are interested in bikes. I love 'em and I always try to share my passion with everybody who listens.
I also welcome truthful opinions. If it's exactly the opposite of mine it's good, too. As long as it's truthful and got some substance!

It was a pleasure...
So long. Can't wait to hear from you again!
Aleksius

P.S.: Stay fair dinkum! smiley - smiley


Your info!

Post 4

geckomind

Hi again!
I added your extra bit of info to the entry. I hope, you don't mind. If you do, please write me and I take it out again. Can I credit you in the article? How do I do that?
Please contact me ASAP.
Thank you again! smiley - smiley
Aleksius


Your info!

Post 5

Crescent

Hey Aleksius smiley - smiley No need to credit me for anything smiley - smiley I just happened to watch a History Channel programme about the history of the motorcycle, and just passed along a bit about what I learned smiley - smiley On another note you may want to split your Entry up into several paragraphs, it would make it a bit easier to read, but it is up to you smiley - smiley Anything I could help you with, then just yell smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


Paragraphs

Post 6

geckomind

Hello Crescent!
How do I split my article up into paragraphs if I'm working in GuideML?
I'm familiar with HTML, but I can't hack this Guide stuff yet... smiley - sadface
I'm working on it, though.
Thanks again for the help, mate!
I'm listening.


Paragraphs

Post 7

Crescent

Paragraphs in GuideML are exactly like in HTML, I think. Before the begining of a paragraph you put a and at the end a smiley - smiley Let me know how it goes smiley - smiley Until later.....
BCNU - Crescent


Paragraphs

Post 8

King and Cripple

Entry looks nice, short and too the point, we need some of that. However, the title is a bit sketchy. When I saw the title I was wondering if you were talking about a helicopter, a motorcycle, somekind of device that chops things up. Narrow down the title to perhaps, "The Chopper Motorcycle" or "Basics of the Chopper Motorcycle." Other than that looks good.

Do think about splitting up into a few paragraphs, then elaborate on them. This to me looks like a possible entry into the EG, of course I am not a scout.

P.S. html works in the windows, just make sure everything has a matching closing tag, or else it will error. also

will error. caps must be same too. However, if you are going to be doing alot of entries, you may want to learn GuideML it really is not that hard to get the baics and everything else you just build on.


Entry Updated

Post 9

geckomind

Hey people!
I followed your suggestions. The entry is now called 'The Chopper Motorcycle' and looks much neater.

smiley - cool So Long.


Entry Updated

Post 10

Crescent

It is looking good smiley - smiley The only thing I would like to see now is a description of a chopper, your one, if you have one smiley - smiley This is just so a total novice would have a good idea about what one looks like. Well, just an idea smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


Further improvement

Post 11

geckomind

Hey, Crescent!
What do you think, mate?

Thanks again for all the help smiley - smiley


Further improvement

Post 12

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Looks good smiley - smiley

There's only thing to change, the first person writing style near the bottom (Edited entries need to be written from a 'neutral' position):
"Now, many people will say that it is not, because it comes from mass production but I don't mind that. I also don't mind that it is no Harley. I love Harleys, they look good, sound good, drive wonderfully, but you always have to maintain them."

You could change that into something like "Now, many people will say that it is not, because it comes from mass production. Some people will only count Harleys as choppers. Harleys look good, sound good, drive..."


vroooooooooom!

Bossel (Scout)


Further improvement

Post 13

taliesin

One tiny, nit-picky detail -- I believe the correct biker slogan is: 'Live to Ride, Ride to Live' not 'ride to life, life to ride' --the 'Free Spirit' thing is optional smiley - winkeye

Many 'classic' choppers have radically altered front suspension, with increased 'rake', making the front forks longer than stock bikes. While this looks smiley - cool, and makes them relatively comfortable freeway cruisers, it also makes them less than agile in turns, and cumbersome in city traffic.

It's interesting how terminology evolves; a few years ago no one would have considered calling a factory bike a 'chopper' -- that moniker was reserved for custom jobs.. smiley - smiley

Taliesin - former chopper-rider & peg-scraper -- with scars to prove it smiley - injured


Further improvement

Post 14

taliesin

Ooops! Spotted another nit to pick..

>The best known chopper is the classic Harley Davidson Low Rider. This model virtually started the chopper cult in the Fifties<

Is inaccurate. The Low Rider model was introduced by H-D as the FSX at Daytona Bike Week in 1977

You could say, 'The chopper cult began in the Fifties, and was popularized by the introduction of the Harley-Davidson FXS Low Rider in the late Seventies'.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to ride in BC, Canada, head for the Okanagan area -- absolutely fantastic roads and scenery, and biker-friendly pubs smiley - cheers


Thread Moved

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'The Chopper Motorcycle'.

is thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Thread Moved

Post 16

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

knatter, knatter, vrooom, and off it goes. However, it will take some more weeks until a SubEd has done some polishing (should be an easy ride for them), and some in-house editor has applied some finishing. Finally, the big day for it to appear on the front page will come!


Have some smiley - bubbly in the meantime!


Key: Complain about this post