A Conversation for Sailing Ships

Sailing ships

Post 1

Magra

Hi stragbasher,

this is really a nice discription why sailing ships are so great. Maybe you could have said more about climbing the rigging. The fantastic view over the blue water you get, when you sit on a yard 50 meters above the ship smiley - smiley *sigh*

Here are some links, where you can book a trip on some of the biggest sailing ships of the world. Maybe you want to add them to your site.

On www.tallship-friends.com you can find ships like Kruzenshtern, Mir, Christian Radich and other.
I've been once on the Kruzenshtern. She normally starts somewhere in Russia (Murmansk I think, but I'm not sure), sails around Europe somewhere down to Spain and then the way back. Of course the harbours she stops differ from year to year, but it's always more or less the same route. So you can join her on a lot of European harbours

www.windjammer.de is unfortunatly completly in german, as it is from a german orginisation, but there you can book a trip on Sedov, the tallest activ saililng ship of the world, so I thought it worth to mention.

Your sailing ships project is really interessting. Are you going to add something about sailing boats? So, as you defined it, smaller then 30 meters?

Magra


Sailing ships

Post 2

stragbasher

Hi,

I've just got back to h2g2 after yet another long absence. I'm going to try and do some work on this project in the coming weeks, and want to add an account or two of trips on real sailing ships. If you'd like to add something (have you sailed on a tall ship?) then I'd be glad of the contribution.

I'm going to keep the 'sailing boats' topic seperate, as it's worth a project of it's own - maybe later! I'm boat-deprived at the moment, on account of being in China, and there are plenty of other people at h2g2 who could do that project.

All the best
SB


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more