A Conversation for GG: French Horns

A582806 - French Horns

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A582806

Here's an entry on yet another orchestral instrument, the French Horn. Scouts note, I've included links in this one, so there is even less for the sub-editor to do.


A582806 - French Horns

Post 2

Orcus

Well you've already read my comments elsewhere.

I'll just give it the smiley - ok and see what others think

smiley - smiley

Orcus


A582806 - French Horns

Post 3

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

smiley - cool entry, very interesting.

Konrad


A582806 - French Horns

Post 4

Jimi X

smiley - ok

Another great one, and we with a wait of 30 days before I can pick again. smiley - sadface


A582806 - French Horns

Post 5

.

I think this entry is great. What I find interesting about the French horn is that I think it's the only instrument which has the keys controlled by the left hand.


A582806 - French Horns

Post 6

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Gnomon,

it's always a pleasure to read your musical instruments Entries. smiley - ok

Only one minor thing: Are you absolutely sure that putting the hand further into the bell will rise the pitch? It seems logical to me, but I made some experiments with conch shells and found out that inserting the hand into the shell will in fact *lower* the pitch and soften/muffle the tone. I haven't had the opportunity to try this on a French horn, however.

I don't want to cast doubts on what you wrote, but imho the basic principles should apply both to conch shells and french horns.

Jeremy


A582806 - French Horns

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Jeremy, I didn't want to get too technical but what I said is true. As you put your hand in the bell, the pitch is lowered. The more you put your hand in, the lower it gets, up to about a semitone flat. Then when the hand completely covers the hole, the pitch suddenly jumps up by a whole tone, making it a semitone higher than the original note. I don't entirely understand the reason for this.


A582806 - French Horns

Post 8

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Maybe I could have found that out for myself, but my hands are too big for my conch shell smiley - winkeye ...

No need to include the technical stuff imho. You know it, I know it, and musicians need to have at least some secrets, true?

My next picking date is three weeks from now. If your Entry is still in the PR at that time (which I doubtsmiley - winkeye), consider it picked.

Jeremy


A582806 - French Horns

Post 9

.

Mine's in two weeks smiley - tongueout
But I still can't get to the calendar page smiley - erm


A582806 - French Horns

Post 10

.

Maybe you'd like to put in a link to Rossini, if that's allowed. It hasn't been edited yet but it's got a new recommended number A593011 if you like...


A582806 - French Horns

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

Done that!


A582806 - French Horns

Post 12

.

Goodo
This is good smiley - ok


Thread Moved

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'French Horns'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Thread Moved

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks! I presume it was Niwt who recommended it.smiley - bubbly


Thread Moved

Post 15

.

It wasn't actually - I tried to, but MDS got there first.


Key: Complain about this post