Ways to Cool Off

0 Conversations


When the heat of summer is upon you, you may be at a loss for ways to cool off. This entry is supposed to solve that problem. Keep in mind that not all of these methods are suited to your situation. For instance, you may be in the middle of a drought and not be able to use much extra water. In this case, the water sprayer, fan, or air-conditioned place methods might be best. This is all written under the assumption that you don't want to use air conditioning in your home for some reason.
  1. The swimming method
    One of the best ways to cool off is to go for a swim. This can be done in a swimming pool, in a nearby river or lake, or at the beach. However, you may not be able to do this, for a variety of reasons.1

  2. The water hose method
    Take a water hose, hold the nozzle over your head, and turn it on, spraying down towards you. You may want to leave to sprayer thingy off, but if you do keep it on, be sure to set it to a spray that is not so powerful as to be painful when it hits you. Soaker is good; so is any misting one.

  3. The water sprayer method
    Get ahold of one off those water sprayers, such as the ones used for cleaning products(but don't use one of those, or if you do, wash it out *really* well with hot water), fill it with nice cold water, and carry it around. Whenever you feel overheated, spray yourself in the face with the water.

  4. The fan method
    Three ways to do this:#1 Find a large fan and stand in front of it.#2 Carry a small fan around with you. The ones that clip onto desks and such are good for this. #3Make a paper fan and wave it at your face ever so often. You make the fan by taking a peice of paper and folding it accordian-style, that is, first one way than the other. On edge it should look like a zig-zag. Then, you staple or fold over one end. This is by far probably the least effective way of cooling off, its advantages being that it is very portable, takes little work to prepare, does not make you look silly using it, and does not involve getting wet and thus looking disreputable. Either of the first two can be combined with the water sprayer method by simply spraying water into the fan blades, which makes them more effective.

  5. The air-conditioned place method
    This method is quite simple. Just find an air-conditioned place, such as a library, museum, or grocery store, and hang out there for awhile. Most places that have computers are good for this as they have fans to cool them off.

  6. The sprinkler method
    Run through a sprinkler while it is on. While sort of undignified, this is a great way to cool off.

  7. The cold shower method
    Take a very cold shower. Do not use any hot water. This is very effective for cooling off, however you might want to know...


    What to expect:

    At first you stop breathing just from the shock of the cold water. Then you start to hyperventalate. After a few seconds you will start breathing normally again, as you adjust to the shock. A cold shower usually takes much less time than a hot one, since cold water is not especially comfortable, and hot water is. You will, though, be very comfortable after you get out, since it is still a hot day and you are cool, having just had all your body heat sucked out by cold water. An added advantage is that this can be done easily in the privacy of your own home, and is not at all messy. A disadvantage is that you do need to be at home, or somewhere else you can take a shower. It can't be done, say, on a trip to the zoo or(usually) in the office when the AC has broken.2

  8. The water hose-and-trash can method
    Go out and get a new, unused trash can(or you can take an old one and wash it out really well.). Make sure you can fit inside and get out relatively easily. Fill it with water from a garden hose. Then get in. You may want to change into a swimsuit for this, or you may just want to wear regular clothes so you will be cool all day. It's up to you.

  9. The hat method
    Take one baseball cap, 3, and fill it with water. Then put it on, quickly.


    A note on hats:

    Since most body heat is lost through the head, wearing a hat is a good way to keep you warm. While this is fine in the winter, in the summer it can be a very large irritation. Therefore, don't wear a hat unless it's actually cooler than your head.

  10. In a car
    Sometimes you will come back to your car after leaving it in the parking lot for several hours only to find that it is about 20 degrees hotter than the outside air. Naturally you do not want to get in until it is cooler. There are a number of things you can do to remedy this: You can open all the doors(and back windows, if your car is a two-door) and wait for the hot air to escape. This method is almost always available, no matter what kind of car you have. If your car has a sunroof that is openable, open it all the way. Since heat rises, and the sunroof is in the top of the car, this creates something called the chimney effect which sucks out the heat quicker. If your car is a convertable, and the top isn't broken, put the top down. One thing you do not want to do is just get in the car and turn the air conditioning on all the way. This creates a strain on the engine, overheating it. The worst situation for this is when you are stuck in a traffic jam. In that case, if the engine overheats, open all the windows, the sunroof if you have one, and turn the heat on. This will cool the engine off, but will make it terribly uncomfortable. Then your best bet is to find an unimportant piece of paper and make a fan out of it and wave it at your face. Or you can take a book(such as the owner's manual, which many people keep in the glove compartment because that's where the dealership put it and they've never touched it) and flip the pages, creating a small wind.

  11. Hot Peppers
    Eating hot peppers can actually cool you off, as it makes you sweat more.

1Such as not living near aywhere to swim, the places you live near that you might swim at are polluted, not having anything to wear whilst swimming, or maybe you just would not be caught dead in a swimsuit before you lose afew pounds and maybe tone up those abs. 2 You probably shouldn't do this if you could be seriouly hurt by any physical shock. Cold water suddenly pouring down on you is a very large shock, more than you would probably give it credit for if you haven't done this before, or if you haven't done it in awhile and have forgotten. This is not like being sprayed with a water hose in that respect. It really isn't.3Or any hat that can be soaked in water without suffering damage.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A574508

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more