A Conversation for Doctor Who - The Theme Music

An entry of perfect pitch

Post 1

cynthesis

smiley - applause and thanks for a well researched and balanced guide entry.
The Doctor Who theme music has always seemed to sweep its audience into that spirally tunneled vortex of somewhere beyond time as we know it with great bounding efficacy. You couldn't help but anticipate and be drawn into it.
The author was spot on regarding the failure of the 1996 made for TV production of "The Enemy Within" opening and closing orchestral music composition which seemed barely adequate to support the story content or tradition of Doctor Who. I remember that upon first hearing it, the disappointment from the start, sensing a blatant creative production disconnect right off.
Thanks for bringing back fond memories of the various evolved thematic renditions over the course of the series history.The enthusiastic and scholarly approach to this subject is well appreciated !


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 2

CYBERHUMAN

Thank you very much Cynthesis! I really appreciate your comments about my guide entry! smiley - biggrinsmiley - blushsmiley - hugsmiley - smooch


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 3

CYBERHUMAN

You know it was me who wrote it! smiley - biggrinsmiley - cool


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 4

cynthesis

smiley - bigeyesI did take note of the finely hewn cybernetic turns of phrases and a cyborgian nuance to the cohesiveness of narrative, yes!
Congratulations on a fine entry,dear friend!smiley - biggrin
smiley - hugsmiley - smooch

smiley - orangebutterfly


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 5

CYBERHUMAN

Thank you very much! You have such a gift with words. smiley - biggrinsmiley - smoochsmiley - cool


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 6

cynthesis

Ahhh..fer gosh sakes...yer makin mesmiley - blush
No, you've got a fine future in writing if you keep up like this. Truly.
Fer real...like.
Ya know?

smiley - laughsmiley - rofl
smiley - orangebutterfly


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 7

CYBERHUMAN

Thank you! I'm planning to write another entry about the Doctor's regenerations.


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 8

cynthesis

smiley - bigeyesI'll be watching out for it and I hope a lot of h2g2 Who fans will, too!
smiley - braveI'm counting on you.
Don't let us down!smiley - flustered
We're not all about jelly babies and K-9, you know.smiley - winkeye We demand literary substance!

smiley - laughsmiley - hug

smiley - orangebutterfly


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 9

CYBERHUMAN

I wouldn't deliver anything less my good friend. smiley - biggrin


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 10

cynthesis

Mmmm hmmm...Indubitably so.smiley - ok

I've only seen 4 regenerations of the Doctor, so I look forward to being enlightenedsmiley - zenby whatever your great cybernetic brain can bring forth into the realm of mere earth dwellers.
Until then, I'll do my best to stoically wait while munching jelly babies and tacking up K9 posters on the walls.
smiley - ta

smiley - winkeyesmiley - smooch
smiley - orangebutterfly


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 11

CYBERHUMAN

That's cool. Which of the Doctor's regenerations have you seen? There is a great website you can go to in order to watch all the regenerations. But if you prefer to read my guide entry and then watch the regenerations, please be my guest. smiley - biggrin


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 12

cynthesis

smiley - biggrinLet's see, I've seen Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy, and Peter Davison's
smiley - discoregenerations... that's all.
smiley - brave Poor little me. That bad American TV programming does get in the way of potential fun.
I hadn't even heard of that internet version until you mentioned it. I'm horribly out of the Who loop.
Oh woe is me.
Life does that to you, sometimes.
smiley - yikesI'm sounding like Marvin!

smiley - hug
smiley - orangebutterfly


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 13

CYBERHUMAN

Then my guide entry on the Doctor's regenerations should be very enlightening for you then! smiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

The regenerations you've seen are probably the best of the lot. The Jon Pertwee one was quite a simple one where Tom Baker's face just materialises on top of Pertwee's face, but the build up to it with the Doctor collapsed on the floor is quite good. Tom Baker's regeneration is another very good one, and I love the way that the Watcher's face appears over Baker's before it slowly becomes Peter Davison's face. That also had a nice build up to it, and it was the first regeneration we'd seen where the Doctor was physically injured, which was great. The Peter Davison regeneration has to be the best one ever, and the build up to it is fantastic. That's because it was written by Robert Holmes, arguably the best writer Doctor Who ever had. I love the way that the Doctor feels like this is literally the end of his life, his body poisoned by a deadly disease called spectrox toxemia, and then he sees the faces of all his recent companions and his arch enemy the Master, before a purple striped vortex appears, blocking his face from view, and suddenly the new Doctor (Colin Baker) sits up, the vortex vanishing.

Wow! That was a long paragraph! Sylvester McCoy's regeneration was okay, but not outstanding. Colin Baker refused to film a regeneration so McCoy stood in for him with a curly blond wig and the jacket Baker wore. Again the Doctor was physically injured, hitting his head on the TARDIS console, before swirly blue lines obscured his face and then he turned into the Doctor as played by McCoy. Not the best build up to a regeneration, nor the best special effects to create the transformation, but it could have been worse.


An entry of perfect pitch

Post 14

cynthesis

smiley - coolsmiley - applause Great behind the scenes production stories.
You're right, I did see some of the better regenerations.
I particularly liked the Tom Baker and Peter Davison ones. They entered into the psychological makeup of the Doctor's character and revealed them to be more than Time Lords, beings with more of a connection to those who shared their journeys... Hence, much more fascinating characters for the plots to come.
Anyway,yes I'll be looking forward to more enlightenment from the data that you have stored in that capacious cybernetic brain of yours!
smiley - ta and goodnight!
smiley - smooch

smiley - orangebutterfly


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more