A Conversation for Margaret Atwood - Author

Handmaid's Tale

Post 1

Frankie Roberto

Nice entry, should be in the Edited Guide!

I'm doing the Handmaid's Tale in my English Lit. exam in 2 weeks time, so I'm starting to hate the damn novel, but it's interesting...


Handmaid's Tale

Post 2

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Thank you. I'm trying... smiley - blush

What level of English Lit are you doing? My class did THT for coursework, but I'd already finished mine, so there wasn't much point; I still enjoyed it though, since I'd already read it and it's one of my favourite books.

I've got my A-level in a couple of weeks. I've got to get an "A", since I want to do English Lit at university. Eeeek.


Handmaid's Tale

Post 3

Frankie Roberto

I'm doing English Lit. AS Level. (can't decide whether to carry on for A-Level or not, I'm doing English Language too, which is much better!).

I kind of liked the book, but disagree with some of the ideas in it, (Feminists are getting on my tits) we seem to be doing so much female-orientated literature, what with the Wife of Bath and all...


Handmaid's Tale

Post 4

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Oh dear - I've got something of a feminist streak - I'm reading Anais Nin at the moment. smiley - biggrin I'm hoping that the people at St. Hilda's will appreciate it when I reapply to Oxford. smiley - sadface

I liked Chaucer - even if the Wife of Bath seems somewhat like Anne Widdecombe. Apart from the nice bits. smiley - tongueout


Handmaid's Tale

Post 5

Frankie Roberto

I have no problem with equality between the sexes, in fact I actively support that, but all too often I see feminists being very aggressive towards men, and seeking to work above and not with the male species.

People don't realise the problems men have too, the lack of sympathetic support networks that females have, the societal pressure to be macho and strong, the discrimination against fathers, etc..

There's nothing I'd like more than to be in a loving equal relationship with a woman, sharing the household duties, and being great parents. Partnership is the word I think.

What are your views?


Handmaid's Tale

Post 6

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

When I was 11, I was a militant man-hating feminist, but now I've mellowed a bit. I would agree that partnership is an ideal, but it's not always as simple as that; some parents still teach little girls to cook and clean while leaving the boys to mess around as they wish, and so when it comes to actual partnerships the woman is doing all the menial stuff. It's getting better though I think.

Males aren't a species, dear. You're just the same as us, just a different sex. smiley - smiley

I acknowledge that men also have problems, it's just that those that women suffer have been in place and are almost taken for granted - for example the continuing practice of paying women less than men when in the same jobs, descrimination against women in pregnancy, etc. The Pope has suggested that women should stay at home and look after the children. Look - we have to cope with running with breasts, okay? That must win hands down. smiley - winkeye


Handmaid's Tale

Post 7

Frankie Roberto

My perspective comes from having been brought up in an unusual circumstance where my mum left my dad, who eventually got custordy of us, and being brought up by my dad alone sinse. So I've seen him as a 'home' figure, washing, looking after us, etc...

You can't have a relationship where there is resent against men, which is what I feel from a lot of female friends.

Also the physical differences between men and women aren't good arguements.. I sympathise completely with the problems women have, but men have problems too, we just don't complain so much :p (kidding). You don't want to know how uncomfortable unwanted erections can be! smiley - smiley

And don't even go down the route of labour pains. If you are in a loving relationship the pain is equal for both partners, as is the joy of being parents. Giving birth is beautiful remember. Motherhood is going out of fashion it seems..

Women are getting into more and more jobs now, and being very successful. It is boys who are failing badly in education and school. And the statistic about pay is more complex than it seems.

Just remember, I love women, and it is us against 'them' not against each other okay? smiley - smiley


Handmaid's Tale

Post 8

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Giving birth is beautiful? I intend to have everything I can get for the pain...


Handmaid's Tale

Post 9

Frankie Roberto

That seems like a bit of an irresponsible attitude to have. You should consider the health of you and the baby before doing anything.

But anyway, it's all the future... smiley - smiley


Handmaid's Tale

Post 10

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Irresponsible? Please qualify. Millions of women have epidurals which do absolutely no harm to the child, since it is administered at a point at which it no longer enters the child's bloodstream. Also gas and air - I actually think that women who decide to take advantage of no medical advances are being irresponsible, since this increases the chance of a prolonged and dangerous birth.

Also - I think that lots of males (no, not all!) underestimate the trauma to women, because it isn't their body that is at stake. Personally, having a pregnancy test was one of the most frightening moments of my life... smiley - sadface


Handmaid's Tale

Post 11

Mark Alexander

>Millions of women have epidurals which do absolutely no harm to the >child

.... and lots of harm to the woman in some cases. Let alone the many times it doesn't work because it's done too late or wrongly.

And no, i'm not saying everyone should have a pain-relief free birth. But please, please do check the pro's AND con's of everything you do.

Anyway, all that above is completely off-topic. Like the article.


Handmaid's Tale

Post 12

Mark Alexander

The last sentence was supposed to be "I like the article"


Handmaid's Tale

Post 13

Frankie Roberto

I would confer with Mark. It's always best to get the best possible advice and education before making decisions, and not just from the doctors! Independant organisations will have lots of information on the decisions to make. There's not just epidural to consider, but lots of different options to go for, especially if the baby is late.

And don't dismiss the role the father will play in the birth giving. He will understand the pain, and probably share a lot of the pain with you (and if he wont then he probably isn't the kind if guy you want to raise a kid with).

And lastly, please don't blame the male population for the fact that it is the women who have to give birth. It's not our fault, honest! smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post