A Conversation for Waycross, Georgia, USA

WAYCROSS, GEORGIA USA

Post 1

Researcher 200119

Although it is true that Bert Reynolds was born in Waycross, Georgia, he never lived here. More notably, Pernell Roberts (Bonanza) and Ossie Davis (almost every notable movie made in the last 20 years) were born and educated here. Both still have family here. Mr. Davis was most recently here this past spring for the local theatre group, WACT, to present his glorious play, "Purlie Victorious".

The Okefenokee Swamp is spectacular indeed in all seasons. Not quite like being in Jurassic Park, but close enough to make you nervous. The alligators are real, they are loose and they are faster than they appear. Ever see the movie "Lake Placid"? In spring, the swamp comes alive with new birth and with more butterflies than you can count or photograph. It was difficult to even walk among the native wild azaleas because if you opened your mouth to speak one just might fly in. Whether you canoe into the swamp alone or go with a guided tour, this is one pristine wilderness not to be missed. There are many entrances but the public is safer to enter at Waycross, Folkston or Stephen Foster State Park.

If you are a train spotter, train collector or just love trains, then Waycross' Rice Yard is your mecca. There are no tours or museums but just the site of all those trains going in all those different directions will drive you batty. They drive the local folks crazy for another reason, blocked railway crossings. But Waycross wouldn't be here if not for the railroad. Even its historic old downtown is layed out in the form of an iron cross, a favorite of old Mr. Plant, legendary railroad superintendant..

As for Pogofest, the City of Waycross started the festival almost 18 years ago and still uses Pogo as its mascot. The festival has been carried on by a local non-profit group, The Okefenokee Pogofest Association, Inc., for the last eight years. The group honors a cartoonist each year that best portrays the example set by Walt Kelly. The guest cartoonist receives a bronze star which is placed in the "Cartoonist Walk of Fame" walkway which is located in Downtown. The festival is small but also hosts the Pogo Fan Club with members coming in from all over the world. Proceeds from the festival go to local scholarship programs, children's art awards, etc. Come join us next year.

I could write for pages about all the good things that Waycross has to offer and for you to discover. Later, maybe I will.


Key: Complain about this post

WAYCROSS, GEORGIA USA

More Conversations for Waycross, Georgia, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more