Hey ho, my dearie-oh

0 Conversations

We'd been touring a series of remote village halls, meeting the locals, finding out what their background story was, what issues they had with the halls, and what sort of events they were used for. Remote halls out in the middle of nowhere can often be the focus for sectarian attacks, and it's a major piece of work, trying to make these visible symbols of one side more widely used by everyone in the community. We'd completed 3 of our visits already that morning, and had been regally fed at each one: our stomachs now contained an explosive mixture of sausage rolls, salad sandwiches, and slices of pavlova as thick as a telephone directory.

Wullie-John had given us a guided tour of this particular Orange Hall, and explained the various means of combating arson attacks that had already been undertaken – the oil tank was buried below ground, there were no wooden fascia boards on the outside of the building, and there was a special lining under the tiles on the roof to prevent flammable liquid being poured in.

And then he'd added that of course, the bloke across the road kept an eye on the place.

I'd looked over at the derelict cottage on the other side of the gravelly track, with one window-pane cracked, behind it fluttering a dirty scrap of net curtain. Every other window in the place had corrugated iron over it. It and the hall were the only buildings visible as far as the eye could see.

"That house?" I asked, incredulously, indicating the ramshackle dwelling, doubting that anyone really dwelled that at all.

"Don't point!!" hissed Wullie-John, slapping down my arm. "He'll be watching!"

We went back inside and met a small group of local residents. It was obvious that they themselves were not averse to several Finn McCool-sized slices of home made pies and tray-bakes, and their generous forms overfilled the plastic bucket chairs and strained the buttons of their polo shirts. We asked them what sort of events they had planned for the future.

A barely decipherable stream of heavy rural accent followed, although I did manage to make out the words "speed dating" at several points. Wullie John stepped in as translator and explained that there were so many bachelors left running the family farms that it was hard to find a wife. Preferably one who could make pavlova.

He fixed my gaze and said "Are ye taken yerself?"


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A53997691

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more