Coastal Erosion

0 Conversations

Introduction

Coasts are high-energy environments. This mean that they are zones where there is great potential for erosion. Waves can be both constructive and destructive, with very short times scales involved.
All coasts continually change, be it with erosion, deposition, sea level fluctuation or human development. It is when the destructive waves are eroding at a substantial rate, or threatening human settlements that problems arise and human intervention takes place. This entry aims to explain the processes of erosion and also to outline it's impacts and various solutions.

Processes of Coastal Erosion

There are various types of actions that erode the coastlines. These first examples will describe the erosion of a cliff.

Hydraulic Action

Hydraulic action is the direct action from waves onto a cliff. As the water hits the cliff, it is moving at speed and has much energy. As the water tries to find somewhere to go, it will be forced into small cracks in the stone. This water, and any air it may have pushed before it, are under great pressure in this space. This can increase weaknesses in the cliff and can blast pieces of the rock from the exposed surface.

Corrosion

Corrosion


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A538896

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more