A Conversation for Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!

Longest Word

Post 1

Researcher 235955

Sorry for attempting to inspire (as in breath life into) an old, supposedly dead thread, but we Colonials often do not get the word until long after you in in Blighty believe things are well and truly expired. (Remember John Paul Jones in his battle against the HMS Serapis. His "I have not yet begun to fight" must have given scant assurance to the poor buggers lying about the decks grasping their chitterlings. Also remember the Battle of New Orleans, fought after the war was concluded in the more "civilized" parts of the world.)

Back to our story: There is a lake, or trio of connected lakes to be more precise, in Massachussets known once as Chogagogmanchogagogchabunagungamog - 34 letters. Unlike Llanfair PG, it is a real name.

It seems that two bands of Native Americans aka "Indians", lived in the area. As such peoples were often wont to do, they warred over fishing rights in the lakes. The best fishing was in the middle lake. Realizing that the fighting led only to decrease in the number of band members and that they were members of the same, larger tribe, they worked out a settlement which was, in essence, "You fish in your lake, we will fish in our lake, and no one will fish in the middle." That agreement, in the indigenous tongue, became the name of the trio of lakes - Chogagogmanchogagogchabunagungamog.

Because mapmakers and others found the long name difficult in the extreme, the lakes were later renamed and now bear the name Webster Lake after the nearby town of Webster.


Longest Word

Post 2

Researcher 236443

I'm totally new to this site and forgive me if this word has already been mentioned but as far as i know the longest word recognised in the English language is "Pnumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis"
Its a lung decease caused by the quartz silica dust during mining. There is 45 letters in the word, there maybe longer in the world but this one is recognised as being the longest in the English language.


Longest Word

Post 3

Bluto

The longest place name in Britain is
llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Which tranlates into English as -

The chuch of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"

In New Zealand however there is -

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

This translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."

The favorite of the Guinness Book of Records, the name of Bangkok (Krungthep) in Thai:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit

The translation here is pretty much the unabridged history of the city rather than a word.

The land of angels, the great city of immortality, various of devine gems, the great angelic land unconquerable, land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital, place of the grand royal palace, forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits, predestined and created by the highest devas.

Which would be like naming my home city of Derby as
Thelandbythefastriverderwentatthefootofthepenninehillsfoundedonthesiteoftheromanfortatlittlechesterandpopulatedbyanglosaxonsandvikingsandthelaststoppingplaceofbonnieprincecharlieduringhisfailedrebellion.

It has a ring to it but the road signs could be a problem!


Longest Word

Post 4

Thorin

Hey there i'm pretty new at this but i think yall have to much free time.(i still say Superkalafragalisticixpyaladoceouse is the longest word i've ever heard spoken)


Longest Word

Post 5

LilGrimmy

I think the longest word I've written and spoken has got to be,
Antidisestablishmanterianism
which loosely translates to People who are against people who are against the establishment (the man) I believe. Or it's the other way round. Whatever.


Longest Word

Post 6

Bluto

It actually means to be against the disestablishment of the church. Disestablisment refers to breaking the ties of the church to the state.


Longest Word

Post 7

Gazza7

The longest word I have ever spoken was AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH when I stubbed my toe on a frozen mammoth.


Longest Word

Post 8

Researcher 250566

Ya misspelled it...
Pn_e_umonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
regards,
vilppu


Longest Word

Post 9

Charityplayer




Spelling is Important

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

IMPOSSIBILITYCISMALOGICALISATION BABA
(Found in Africa)



smiley - dragon


Longest Word

Post 10

Bob McBob

Hi there!

There is a guide entry for this(!) at A99010. But you may need a smiley - stiffdrink after reading it.

smiley - cake


Longest Word

Post 11

Roger the Saurus

Another very long word is floccinaucinihilipilification which means the art of estimating as worthless, which sums it all up really.


Longest Word

Post 12

Charityplayer




A99010

DO YOU Snort IT OR INJECT IT


smiley - dragon


Longest Word

Post 13

thetriune1

1 drink ?????????? I'd need to have my head examined (if i ever get that drunk)after i tried that one.so here it is just for ya'll who didn't follow the link:

The longest official word ever (1,913 letters) is the term for the formula C1289H2051N343O375S8
Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysyglutamylgycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycyllisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalylaspartylsrylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglysylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.


Longest Word

Post 14

thetriune1

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly
just try and say that 3 times FAST?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?smiley - wah


Longest Word

Post 15

blue_ink_scrawl

Did you spell check that one?


Longest Word

Post 16

alchemy

Hey, wanna know the best word?

Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliophobia. That's apparently the word meaning the fear of long words. That's what I havesmiley - smiley


Longest Word

Post 17

toddfromcorry

The longest word is 'smiles', it has a mile between the first and last letters.


Longest Word

Post 18

Bob McBob

smiley - groan


Longest Word

Post 19

jnm7897

I'm pretty sure it's spelled 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'.
Also, 'antidisestablishmentarianism' always stuck me as a copout, as the differece between it and 'establishmentarianism' are, at best, subtle.

smiley - ale


Longest Word

Post 20

h2g2name

does aneyone know the longest wor in anay languadge? (calling all by-lingist's)smiley - smiley. i'd love to find out


Key: Complain about this post