A Conversation for The Myth Of 42 [(5-3+0+5) * (6+0) = 42]

why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 21

ITIWBS

...or overlapping beams of colored light, casting shadows in their complement...

I've seen that used to good effect in bar-room and disco lighting. smiley - esuom


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 22

NotaFBene

On primary colors: There are not necessarily three, one can make a fairly good color picture with a mix of just two basic colors.
This was tried in the early days of color TV (to reduce the hardware smiley - winkeye ).
But three is better, to be able to get about ALL types of colors
(with two basic colors some grades cannot be reached)

On the difference between RGB (used for TV) and RYB (for painting):

The first is additive -> you add the intensities of R G B produced by the phosfors in the TV tube; the more colors you mix, the brighter the mix becomes. It is indeed surprising for the first time to see R+G making Y. This was the experiment my prof at university (TU Delft) did when explaining basic colors in TV technology: take a slide-projector and three round sheets of colored plastic (R, G, B) and arrange them in a triangle so they overlap in pairs, and all three intersect in the middle (white): you'll see the result mix of all, including R+G=Y.

The second is subtractive -> a pigment reflects only its color and absorbs (subtracts from white) all the others, so the more colors you mix the more light is subtracted from the white (daylight), hence the darker the mix becomes. -- NFB


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 23

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

why is it so difficult to keep it basic & simple?


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 24

NotaFBene

Pheloxi: "why is it so difficult to keep it basic & simple?"

NFB: But it *is* basic and simple! (for most people smiley - whistle )


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more