A Conversation for Zaphodista Army of Cybernautic Liberation

New ways to protest o:-)

Post 1

U128068

These following methods are both reversable and cause no long term damage. This should make them suitable of tempory protests. 1. How to do; Delete your guide entries so that anyone looking at them will see..... [view this for an - example http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A332722] How to undo; Guide entries can be re-activated so you won't lose anything. Just type "http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/MAxxxxxx&type=3" into your address bar replecing xxxxxx with your user number, then select the articles to un-cancel. 2. How to do; Make your journal entry subject line a long uninterupted string of characters (ie. IWasJustWonderingIfh2g2CouldCopeWithLongUninteruptedStringsAsSubjectLinesOrNot) This makes the page formatting look very Ugly. How to undo; Journal entries, and the conversations that thread from them can be deleted (unlike other posts), so restoring the formatting. Simply click on "Click here to remove this journal entry from your personal space" next to the entry. If we all do this for a given protest period then the reversable ugly disruption it causes might get some response. DrGoofLithium (I'm sure we still have a right to peaceful protest, don't we?) o:-)


New ways to protest o:-)

Post 2

Martin Harper

Better suggestion: put tags before and after the guide entry {making the contents invisible} and put a screamingly big header at the top with a link to the zaphodistas explaining why you've done so and linking to the Zaphodistas. I did this briefly to my home space during the trial period, though I'm now happier with the situation so I restored it.

Reverse: remove the tags and the header.

Make your journal title something like ThisVeryLongUninterruptedStringAsASubjectLineIsAProtestAgainsth2g2moderation

Reasons: it's good to clearly link the damage to the reason for the damage - it helps make your message stronger and easier for people to see - otherwise its impossible to tell a protest delete from a normal everyday delete.


New ways to protest o:-)

Post 3

Deidzoeb

Wow! Lucinda! You subversive trouble-maker! I take back anything bad I said about you on other message fora! Thanks for the tip on the tag. This seems much more easily reversible than "deleting" our messages and crossing our fingers that they can be reinstated later.

Hope it doesn't come to this, but for some, they already feel it's time to throw a wrench in the system. High Duke of Mars recently removed all his pages and changed his nickname to "BBC Hostage :X".


New ways to protest o:-)

Post 4

U128068

Hmm, nice idea.


New ways to protest o:-)

Post 5

The High Duke of Mars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A532351

:X


New ways to protest o:-)

Post 6

The High Duke of Mars

When you visit any entry on H2G2, add the above link to the conversation/discussion, or add a link to the Zaphodista entry, or link to your own protest entry, or write a protest poem.

My point is, we saturate the Guide with quiet protest links so no one can go anywhere without seeing them. Sooner or later, someone will take notice. smiley - smiley

Peace,

:X


New ways to protest o:-)

Post 7

U128068

I prefer to resign. This will be my last post to h2g2. Sorry to all those I didn't say goodbye to. I'm sure I'll see you elsewhere.

smiley - doctor


Where to protest...

Post 8

Martin Harper

I just thought I'd share...

There are three things that come together to determine what we can and can't do on h2g2.

1) The Law
2) The BBC Online policies
3) h2g2-specific policies.

The italics can only change the third part of that. To change the law, hassle your local elected official, and join movements for a free internet and suchlike. Don't expect quick change.

To change BBC Online policies, why not write to the Director of "New Media"? You can be sure that TPTB are doing everything they can to convince him, but a little direct prodding wouldn't go amiss.

Ashley Highfield
Director - BBC Online
BBC
PO Box 1922
Glasgow
G2 3WT.

You are now returned to your regularly scheduled discussion of revolutionary tactics...


Where to protest...

Post 9

Deidzoeb

"You can be sure that TPTB are doing everything they can to convince him, but a little direct prodding wouldn't go amiss."

From the fact that Mark protested so strenuously that h2g2 staff is responsible for the decision to ban discussions of the UK General Election, I am sure that TPTB are not convincing anyone that change is necessary on any front.


Where to protest...

Post 10

Martin Harper

> "From the fact that Mark protested so strenuously that h2g2 staff is responsible for the decision to ban discussions of the UK General Election"

... as opposed to taking the risk of the BBC switching h2g2 into "premoderation" mode. They are not responsible for the BBC Producer Guidelines.

> "I am sure that TPTB are not convincing anyone that change is necessary on any front."

On the contrary, the fact that I am now allowed to sing you "happy birthday" is down to the italics convincing the BBC that a change to the copyright rules was indeed necessary and possible. The fact that we are allowed URLs in entries is down to the italics convincing the BBC that it was necessary to make that change in the BBC Guidelines.

That's two specific instances when TPTB have made real progress. I'm sorry they don't fit in with your conspiracy theory, but those are the facts.


Where to protest...

Post 11

Deidzoeb

It sounds like the BBC didn't want h2g2 to open again at all.


Key: Complain about this post