A Conversation for Auburn, Washington

More about Auburn

Post 1

MartialStax

ENTERTAINMENT IN AUBURN
There is now a Muckleshoot Indian casino on the south end of Auburn, on the western tip of the Enumclaw Plateau. Now all those Camaros, Trans-Ams and four-wheel-drive pickups have some place to go.
Once Longacres racetrack was closed in Tukwila, halfway between Auburn and Seattle, horse racing fans needed a place to go. Auburn responded by creating Emerald Downs. Originally only for trotters, it now hosts all horse racing and even a few motorcycle races, the big dirt oval being as prefectly suited to Harley-Davidson XR750's as Harleys are to Auburn's blue collar denizens.

AUBURN CULTURE
Aurburn's first newspaper was the Argus, which soon became known as the Globe. It was published on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. News of Boeing and the Auburn High Trojans sports teams filled it's pages. Urban sprawl began to overrun Auburn, and the Globe was absorbed by the Valley Daily News, a South King county shopper better known as the Valley Nearly News by those who attempted reading it. Now it's known as the South Sound Journal, but not as anything even remotely resembling a newspaper.
Auburn also had it's own radio station. KASY 1220 AM, broadcasting from 6:00 a.m. to sunset everyday except Christmas. Bill Doan was the news anchor, and you could see his KASY van parked down by one of Auburn's small baseball diamonds, Fulmer Field, where he lived. It was geniuinely one of those little radio stations that knew exactly who their listeners were and catered to them. Pop music that wasn't too extravagant: news, advertisements for local businesses, and a live broadcast of the Auburn High School Trojans football games every Friday night during the fall. That was it. Progress came in the form of a buyout by KBSG 97.3 FM, an oldies station looking for an AM transmitter. Another chapter of Auburn's past put to rest.

EDUCATION IN AUBURN
Auburn has two high schools. Auburn High School, and Off Campus, the high school for the under-intelligent, under-inpsired, and under-acheivers. It is nearly as popular as the regular high school. Higher education consists of Green River Community College, or Harvard on the Hill. It has it's own radio station, KGRG 89.9 FM, which tries and fails to be hip and intersting. The education is what you'd expect of of a community college in a redneck town that leads the state in teen pregnancies, teen alcoholism, teen drug abuse and teen suicides. Negligible.

AUBURN TODAY
Once upon a time, it was known for incredible fly fishing on the Green River and for the berry farms up and down the vally. Now Auburn is mostly known as the slowdown on the Valley Freeway where it intersects Highway 18.


Key: Complain about this post

More about Auburn

More Conversations for Auburn, Washington

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more