A Conversation for h2g2 House Rules

publication elsewhere

Post 1

sadi_ranson_polizzotti - all in a golden afternoon....

i noticed that it said that the copyright remains w/ the author so it's okay to publish somewhre else provided you still own the copyright... is this really the case? i've heard some conflicting informtion on this topic and would like some clarification. Can anyone help with this please? I'd be grateful. Thanks to all who do help.smiley - smiley


publication elsewhere

Post 2

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

I've just re-read the rules. As far as I can see:

You write something for h2g2, therefore h2g2 can publish it in any format it wishes.

However, you own the copywright, so you can publish it somewhere that isn't h2g2.

As this is the official rules I'd take these as gospel.


publication elsewhere

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

When you write something here on h2g2, you grant the BBC a non-exclusive copyright. That means that they can publish it elsewhere without your permission, and you can publish it elsewhere without their permission.

However, if you're planning on publishing something professionally, I would perhaps think twice about putting it here on h2g2 -- many markets are only interested in buying rights for *first* publication -- and if you put it up here on h2g2, you will have already used that up.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


publication elsewhere

Post 4

sadi_ranson_polizzotti - all in a golden afternoon....

I agree Mikey:

I'd rather see it here than anywhere else, so i wait before i would send it anywhere else; i like it here a great deal and see good people and a great community, though it's hard to get to know people (i feel like odd man out since i'm new and don't really know anyone so it's hard to participate in any of the conversations etc. I feel stupid about this).

In any event, so i wait to find out news from here. What do you think is a reasonable amount of time to wait for news? Any adive on that? i know it can take a while, but i'm wondering how long roughly and what if you don't hear any news for a couple of weeks? say four weeks or so? Should you then pursue elsewhere or just panic or what?

Not sure what to do... obviously, i think here would be a good primary reference of whatr i'm writing, otherwise i wouldn't have selected it, just like the other writers here i'm sure, must also feel (though i can't speak for them, this is just a guess i suppose).

Anyway; i've gone on long enough of course...

Thanks for the advice and tell-all. I appreciate it and will stay here.

if you know more about timing that would help ~ i can wait a long time, so i just need to know how long that is since i am going away for several weeks and can't check in etc etc from where i'll be.

Thanks a ton.

sadi smiley - smileysmiley - alesmiley - oksmiley - run


publication elsewhere

Post 5

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Sadi -- I guess I'm confused as to what news you're waiting to hear about from here, could you let me know what it is you're waiting to have happen? Are you waiting to see if the entries you have in Peer Review will be recommended and accepted?

If that's the case, I would count on very likely hearing in the next week or so.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


publication elsewhere

Post 6

sadi_ranson_polizzotti - all in a golden afternoon....

Hi Mikey: you just answered my question. Thanks so much for that... smiley - smileysmiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post