A Conversation for h2g2 House Rules

Copyright

Post 1

stevewebb

If had written an article, which had been published on H2G2.com but I wanted to sell it to a newspaper, magazine etc would i be able to do this without making problems between the BBC and the publisher i sell it too. Also, can i remove an article that has been reviewed and edited to become part of the guide, so that the copyright is removed from the BBC and returned exclusivly to me?

Thanks for your time,
Slarty web


Copyright

Post 2

I'm not really here

When you post something onto h2g2, you grant the BBC the right to do with it what they like. You also have this right, and can publish what you write where you like. But be warned, that if the publication wants copyright over it, things could be tricky.

You can't take Edited entries away from the Guide.

You might find this page helpful.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/DontPanic-Legal


Copyright

Post 3

I'm not really here

And I forgot this one, it is probably better.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/DontPanic-Contrib#3


Copyright

Post 4

Martin Harper

> "If had written an article, which had been published on H2G2.com but I wanted to sell it to a newspaper, magazine etc would i be able to do this?"

Yes, provided the newspaper/etc don't want 'exclusive rights', or 'first publication'. You can only do this with the unedited version, unless you get Editorial permission.

> "Can i remove an article that has been reviewed and edited to become part of the guide, so that the copyright is removed from the BBC and returned exclusivly to me?"

You could try to ask the Editors if they'd allow you to do this, but the answer would probably be no. Your only other option is to mount a legal challenge to the terms you signed up to, which is perhaps unlikely to succeed. (IANAL)

There are good reasons for this, but I guess it doesn't help you very much... smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more