A Conversation for h2g2 House Rules

A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 1

Researcher 178815

Hi smiley - smiley

Just a quick question - we can't by the rules, post video, audio, text or any other media that isn't our own or that we don't have the permission for, right?

and we can't post anything other than text anyway, and the pictures, blobs, smileys and the "edit page" button in our personal space and entries are all okay to use, yes?

So, putting a link on a page to a midi file, for example, would be fine, right? or wrong?

Also, just to make sure.. adding a small disclaimer about who the copyright and permission grant for use, of that material, near it, would stop a page being pulled down and the author e-mailed about copyrights?

Rhetorical Question; My query I'm having trouble with really though is the above scenario with the midi files but I received a mail saying the entry condones illegal activity.. say for example.. drug taking (!!) the entry number is http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/a607033 if you want to take a quick look at it, though I know you got rid of the moderation helpdesk a long while ago, and don't wish for this to become a place to discuss it instead..

smiley - coolakasmiley - cool


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 2

I'm not really here

aka, I know you probably want an official response, but if you got an email about why your page was hidden, then you need to reply to that, and h2g2 feedback will look into it during office hours. In the meantime, if you remove whatever link it was, then you should be able to reactivate your page.


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 3

Researcher 178815

Hi Mina smiley - smiley

Yeah, I know.. but i replied to that too.. `smiley - ermsmiley - erm maybe I just want too much smiley - smiley

smiley - coolakasmiley - cool


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 4

I'm not really here

You didn't get an answer? smiley - sadface Maybe they are all busy, as there are 3 staff off at the moment.
Is a midi file the same as an MP3? As that might be what the 'illegal activity' bit was about. Although not all MP3s are copyright material.


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 5

Researcher 178815

A MIDI File is just a set of notes saved - which your soundcard actually decides how and when to play, not as in you record a sound as say a wave and it sounds the same on all soundcards.. for instance, the one i use ATM makes synthesised instruments but i know the one im getting with my new computer actually has sampled real instruments smiley - smiley YEY! © © © © !

But I removed the word download from the description in the link to the page which is now on my website.. just in case they were worried.. so you can't download it now (only if you hack it and view the source..must get a no right click script soon.. - its now on my site so i can use scripts yey! ©) and resubmitted it and guess what?

The homepage where the download word was removed from by me only got "referred" this time. not removed smiley - smiley

smiley - coolaka (",)smiley - cool

PS if its back up now, you can see for yourself the page at my site with the "illegal activity"... smiley - erm © http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/a607033 and just entirely out of interest and curiosity, the h2g2.com links all refresh back to the bbc page.. so lets try this: http://www.h2g2.comsmiley - erm?

smiley - coolakasmiley - cool


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 6

I'm not really here

I just got the page still hidden. smiley - sadface
I've been to sites with no right click, I still manage to get into what I want, normally from my cache. smiley - smiley


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 7

I'm not really here

PS Don't forget that Peta is off for a week, so you might not get a quick response. I don't know if someone else is dealing with it in the meantime, but posting here http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/DontPanic-Moderation is probably the best place. Although if you replied to the email, it might be better to wait for an answer. If I could help, I would. Maybe you should try taking the link out for now. At least that will keep the page up.


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 8

Researcher 178815

oh, ok smiley - smiley But i've been told before not to edit the entry because it might stir up some more downtime to your page! smiley - erm

I'll just leave it like it was before i updated it smiley - smiley
smiley - coolaka (",)smiley - cool


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 9

I'm not really here

Have you? Oh well, I'll leave it up to you. I always thought that taking out the problem was the way to solve it. ho hum.


A question regarding copyright `:-/

Post 10

The H2G2 Editors

Hi aka

We hid your page yesterday and sent you an email regarding it. We are a bit concerned that you say you replied to it, as we have no evidence of a reply in the Feedback email folder.

As you know we do not discuss individual moderation decisions on site, so if you wish further clarification of our decision please email us. But suffice to say the illegal activity in question was copyright infringement.

You are both correct in a way. Mina is right to say that editing your page in line with our feedback is the quickest way to get it back up. However, every time you press 'Update', your page enters into the Moderation queue and will be looked at by a Moderator which can sometimes cause confusion.


Key: Complain about this post