Hi everyone, just a little project to find ourselves in the world. Some enterprising folks have set up this thingamijig where people can stick markers on Google Maps, so I thought an h2g2 version would be nice. Click the link above, find your spot and stick a pin in. Thanks to Amy P for introducing me to the site (and to Ottox for introducing Amy to it).
- Open the map.
- Click and drag to centre the map on where your house is.
- Zoom in by clicking on the plus sign on the left or the bar below it.
- Repeat until you're as far in as you can go.1
- Click on your house.2 A box should pop up.
- Fill in your name, a little message and a URL and choose an icon. We suggest using your userspace's URL, but it will accept anything you put in the box, even a space.
- Click 'Place'. Be aware that after you've done this you will be unable to edit your marker. If you really need to change something, place a new marker and drop a note to me that you'd like your old one removed.
Rules and stuff
I don't know if I need disclaimers and rules for you sensible boys and girls, but here goes:
- There are currently some bandwidth issues on the Guestmaps site. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- One marker each. Seriously, I mean this. If everyone placed extra markers it'd lead to such a skewed and full map. I've been deleting the excess ones, so be warned.
- Please don't stick any rude messages on.
- Apparently the site should work with Macs. If it doesn't you might need a new browser (see this) or they might be having bandwidth problems.
- No spitting.