A Conversation for Democracy for Western Canada

A Prince Edward Islander's perspective

Post 1

Nik Carrier 4:20

For someone from the economically depressed Maritimes of Canada, nothing is more irritating in Canadian Politics then the incessent whining of the poor ignored people in the West. The Western portion of this country is in the best economic shape in the country. And despite what many Westerners believe, this is not due to being morew financially responsible then the rest of the country. It is largely due to the random chance of being smack dab on top of one of North America's largest oil and gas reserves. It is the classic story of the poor little rich kid. At least Quebec has legitimate historical and jurisdictional gripes with Canada
If this system of equal voting for all provinces came into effect, the Liberals would most likely still win, because we will NEVER elect a Reform (notice I didn't say Alliance)MP in the east. The four provinces in the east, which almost always vote the same as Ontario, would cancel out the four western provinces vote. These five provinces (and occasionally Quebec) would make up the majority with whatever voting weight you give to the territories (which predominantly vote Liberal).
I am not trying to say that Cretien is a great PM (I cannot stand him, and have never voted Liberal), but look at the alternative, a cold, brutal right-wing Alliance government. Almost every humanly decent social program and government initiative would be scrapped, or cut to the bone. No maritimer will ever vote for that.
A more effective solution for electoral reform that would diminish Liberal power would be a proportional representative electoral style. Why should the NDP and PCs, whose national support combined is equal or greater then the Alliance in Canada be relegated to less then half as many seats combined. Regional based parties are highly over-represented in Parliament today. This type of representation would solve the West's issue of Cretien and the Liberal's arrogant use of power by virtually guaranteeing a minority government in Parliament. Opposition parties could form alliances and get legislation passed, and the governing party would not be able to ram legislation through without getting support from at least one of the opposition parties.
Some people might argue that this would create very unstable government, but in my opinion, a weak government is a good one. It prevents the unilateral, almost dictatorial, decision making that is done now in this country.
Please do not think the angry tone of this posting is a result of my hatred of the West. I do not hate the West. I have many friends and relatives that live in the West. I just do not like right-wing rich Westerners that think the Alliance, a party that rarely gets more than 25% of support should be running this country. I reiterate, Provinces east of Ontario will NEVER elect an Alliance MP to Parliament.


Key: Complain about this post

A Prince Edward Islander's perspective

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more