A Conversation for Brass Instruments, Tuning and Harmonics

Baryton...?

Post 1

Dyddgu

Hello there...
Forgive me for being new and jumping straight into pedants' corner here, but I thought a "Baryton" was a rather unique kind of string instrument, rather than the "Baritone" I play...?
Baryton being a wonderfully odd instrument composed for and played by Haydn, which had strings like a violin, and sympathetic strings behind which could resonate sympathetically (!) or be plucked by the left hand which hid round the back of the instrument. And with this specific spelling, which a lovely little onomastic legend attributes to it being the cause of a "parydon" or pardon to a Frenchman by Charles the Ist; since when it has been called "the king of instruments, and the instrument of kings."

My Baritone is a baritone saxhorn, invented by that nice mr. Adolphe Sax as the lowest instrument in the saxhorn family, which consists of what I've always called tenor horns. Not a direct descendant of the euphonium, which really is a tenor tuba...

Maybe I'm barking completely up the wrong tree... or maybe I need to get a life smiley - winkeye Thoughts welcome!


Key: Complain about this post

Baryton...?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more