A Conversation for The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

A470792-The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Post 1

Psybro

http://www.h2g2.com/A470792
I recently read the books described in this Entry and thought they were very good. I also wrote the Edited Entry on Harry Potter, and decided to write an Entry in a similar vein for these books, as they are similar to the Harry Potter books.
I think this Entry should be approved to inform everyone about this books, which are utterly brilliant.


A470792-The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Post 2

Psybro

smiley - erm Posting ot boot this up the Conversation list so someone will notice it.
I added a little piccie, BTW.


A470792-The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Post 3

Cloviscat

Well done for approaching such a difficult subject - I think entries on books are actually some of the hardest to do.

For me one of the things that makes the books interesting is the alernate reaality of Lyra's world - would you consider a brief summary of the basic set up of Lyra's world vs ours?

Just a though smiley - smiley

Ccat


A470792-The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Post 4

Munchkin

I think it is very good. You have nicely made it sound very interesting, without giving away the plot. As the plot is well twisty, this is good, especially as I am half way through the third book and don't want anything spoiled.
It might be an idea to have a little section on each world, not just Lyra's, as they are all wonderfuly described.
Incidently, I only bought the first one two weeks ago and have been unable to do anything else but read them since. It is definately a series well worth an entry.


A470792-The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Post 5

Cloviscat

Agreed!


A470792-The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Post 6

Martin Harper

A few niggles...

> "Phillip Pullman makes it very clear that he is an extremely talented author."

I just had visions of the first line of the book being "I am an extremely talented author!" - but maybe that's just me...

> "and each have there own clearly defined personality traits and identities"

s/there/their

Try to put as much as possible *above* the plot spoiler. Talk about publishing dates, the type of writing, and the 'mood' of the books - make, if you like, the big attempt to convince people to buy the books - *then* give the plot spoiler for those who wish to read it...

You could also add stuff to talk *about* the world/universe, as well as just the characters in it.

myre - "I reviewed yours: have you reviewed mine? Have you reviewed anything?"


Congratulations!

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Congratulations!

Post 8

NexusSeven

Darn! They beat me to it! Well, congratulations! This entry's going to join your Harry Potter one in the Edited Guide! smiley - smiley

You'll be emailed when it hits the front page. smiley - smiley

Keep up the good work! smiley - smiley


Congratulations!

Post 9

Psybro

Cripes, I'd better get that update done before this thing gets approved!
Thanks, I thought I'd have to revive this again smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more