Purple Mashed Potatoes

1 Conversation

Is there a greater comfort food than mashed potatoes? Hearty, creamy, warm and filling, mashed potatoes are perhaps the perfect food1. Nevertheless, mashed potatoes can be boring and underappreciated if prepared the same way every time we make them.

This variation was inspired by a mushroom glaze that went horribly wrong. In an attempt to create a mushroom-red wine glaze, too much wine was added to ever hope of reducing all of it in time for dinner. However, the smell and taste of simmering wine, mushrooms and garlic was too delicious to throw away. Coincidentally, there was not enough milk that night to make the mashed potatoes sufficiently moist. A small, culinary, light bulb in the mind flashed for a moment and Purple Mashed Potatoes were born.

For this recipe you will need

  • Water - about 1.5 L (around 6 cups) for boiling

  • Potatoes - 4-5 large Idaho spuds should do, although I often use 10 small red potatoes which seem to fend the wine off a little yielding a creamier mash, also they're cheaper

  • Mushrooms - 400 g of white mushrooms (sold as 16 oz. in U.S.), although I have tried Portabello. The portabello absorb the wine wonderfully, but don't blend as well with the potatoes as the white do, also they're more expensive.

  • Red Wine - A cheap Merlot or Claret will suffice, about 0.75 L, perhaps a full 1 L if you have the time (3-4 cups)

  • Yellow onion - One medium or large onion, diced

  • Butter - Salted, about 375 ml (a full stick as packaged in the U.S.)

  • Milk - About 125 ml (half a cup), or better yet, heavy whipping cream. If heavy cream is used, avoid the sour cream.

  • Sour Cream - about a 125 ml (half a cup)

  • Salt, Pepper (white if you've got it), and garlic powder2

Directions

  1. Peel and throughly wash your potatoes

  2. Clean the mushrooms and dice them into 1/2 inch pieces

  3. In a pan melt three tablespoons of butter on medium heat, when butter melts, add onions, three teaspons garlic powder (or garlic) and mushrooms

  4. When the mushrooms start to brown with absorbing the butter, sniff the air and say, "mmm, mushrooms with buter smells good. mmm"

  5. After complimenting your mushrooms on proper browning, add half of wine, and raise to a boil. When this reduces by half, add the remaining wine.

  6. Bring water to a boil in a large pot for the potatoes

  7. Cut the potatoes into cubes or large chunks

  8. When the water reaches a rolling boil, add potatoes. Let the potatoes cook until just a little bit mushy

  9. NOTE

    You'll have to time your mushrooms carefully with the potatoes so that they are done at the same time. The time to properly boil varies depending on the amount and size of the potatoes. In a pinch you may lower the temperature of boiling water of the potatoes to medium, to allow your wine to catch up, or vice versa. Remember that it's ok to overboil the potatoes a little, we're mashing them anyway. It's also alright to undercook the mushrooms some as long as there is not too much wine in the mixture.

    When both the potatoes and mushroom-wine mixture are done (about half an hour)

  10. Remove and strain your potatoes

  11. Add salt and pepper (to taste), milk (or heavy whipping cream, mmm), the remaining butter and the sour cream

  12. Commence mashing

  13. Alternatively, if you have a mixer, like a Kitchen Aide, you can whip the mashed potatoes. This method is recommended because it makes very light potatoes and is easier than mashing by hand

  14. Add the mushrooms and wine mixture in parts while mashing the potatoes

Be careful to not make the potatoes too runny. The potatoes should mound and not fall.

SHARE AND ENJOY!!!

1At least the greatest of the potato based foods2If you don't have garlic powder, then what's the matter with you? In that tragic state, you could just finely dice about four cloves and add them to the onions

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A463772

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more