A Conversation for What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?

where do images come in? [nt]

Post 1

Martin Harper


where do images come in? [nt]

Post 2

World Service Memoryshare team

Hi Lucinda,

I've added in a paragraph about this:

'When the inhouse Editors have had a chance to look at the entry, they may decide that it is a likely candidate to be an Editors' Selection of the Day, and will commission a picture for it.'

smiley - smiley

Anna


where do images come in? [nt]

Post 3

Martin Harper

So how much extra time does it take to commision the picture? Presumably it occurs while an entry is 'pending', right? Would that add on time till front page?


where do images come in? [nt]

Post 4

World Service Memoryshare team

The length of time it takes for entries to filter through to the front page doesn't just depend on the pictures, though yes, we will commission pictures while the entry is pending. When an entry comes in, we work on it and then give it a date. Any entries that come through that we'd like to see illustrated, we allocate a picture. Because the artists are working on other projects we have to give them as much notice as possible, plus we have to co-ordinate with the people who work on the Communicate page www.bbc.co.uk/communicate and they work well in advance too.

Does that help? Why do you ask?

smiley - smiley

Anna


where do images come in? [nt]

Post 5

Martin Harper

Well, partly I think it's info that should probably be added, partly I was curious whether the community artists scheme had changed things.

I was also intrigued by your comment that people were complaining about how long it takes to get from pick->front page. I've heard such, but only when people have been messed around by multiple sub-eds dissappearing in a row and such. And I've heard complaints about the time for submit to PR->pick. I guess you're closer to that end of the system smiley - smiley

I did wonder if you could reduce the delay, if it is a problem, by trying to decide which entries will get graphics at the start of the process, rather than waiting till they're pending. I guess while some entries come out of subbing looking so different from how they went in, that's impractical...

Seeyas
-Martin


where do images come in? [nt]

Post 6

World Service Memoryshare team

Ah I see. If you want to find out more about the Community Artists scheme, ask Mina, though it's still in its very early stages, so be gentle!

I guess I feel under pressure to get entries on the front page on behalf of people, because I look after the Scouts and Subs and have a fair bit to do with PR and the Editing Process.

It's easier for us to decide which entries get pictures once they come back from a sub because then we don't have to constantly refer to the list of entries to be illustrated, saying 'oh yes, got to chase the sub for that one'. Also, there's never a shortage of entries to be illustrated, I wish more could have pictures smiley - smiley

Anna


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more