A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Project Feedback

Banner links to H2G2

Post 1

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

I just read an entry from 2001 in which the possibility of other sites linking to H2G2 via a banner was raised.
The reply was that the use of graphic banners on other sites was against the BBC's policy.
However, the BBC now has its shop advertising through the CJ affiliate programme - I have a banner on one of my own sites. Since the BBC now seem to have changed their mind on the use of banners (the shop banners have only been on CJ for about a month to my knowledge), does this mean that H2G2 will be introducing banners in the near future? If so, I would be interested in placing one on my sites. Any clarity of the policy would be helpful as I am sure I am not the only one who would be interested in running a banner for this site.


Banner links to H2G2

Post 2

Jonny

That's a good idea, but I think the BBC shop is a different company to the rest of the BBC (ie, it's the commercial arm of the BBC), so they probably have different rules regarding advertising. I could be wrong though!


Banner links to H2G2

Post 3

Martin Harper

I'd rather not inflict more cross-promotion on the users of other BBCi sub-sites. Besides, banner ads annoy people, and I'd rather people's first impression of h2g2 didn't come while they were imitating the smiley - grr smiley...


Banner links to H2G2

Post 4

Martin Harper

Oh, I'm sorry - are you saying you want to link to h2g2 *on your own site* with a banner-style graphic? Why would you have to ask the BBC's permission to link to one of their sites? smiley - erm

Ahh, I'm just all confused now.


Banner links to H2G2

Post 5

Jonny

Well, you wouldn't need permission to link to their site, but I think what Radox wants is a sort of official graphic (such as the h2g2 logo, or the lizard thing on the front page would be nice). We couldn't just put that on our pages could we? Because it would be a breach of copyright.


Banner links to H2G2

Post 6

Abi

Jonny is absolutely right - the BBC Shop is part of the BBC's commercial arm, BBC Worldwide.

With regard to a graphic, people could put on their site to link to h2g2 just taking an image would indeed be breech of copyright. We will try and find out what the BBC editorial position of graphics like this is, and let you know.

Abi


Banner links to H2G2

Post 7

lw - ck

during one of those web sessions where you feel inclined to type random words into the address bar and see if they work i stumbled across http://www.kewl.com/ which may not of been updated for 2+ years but it has a image link to h2g2 on!!!

smiley - winkeye
smiley - angelCKsmiley - devil


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more