A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Project Feedback

A Revelation

Post 1

Spike Anderson is sorry he can't catch up on a whole month's backlog

I think I see the problem with this whole DNA/multiple sites thing: it's decentralized. It's like a donut: centered around something that isn't there. We need some sort of DNA HQ to connect all the sites and serve a directory and a home for features shared by all DNA sites, especially help pages and perhaps certain volunteer schemes. Thoughts?

-Spike A.

(oh, and is this posted in the right place?)


A Revelation

Post 2

Jim Lynn

You're assuming that all the sites have the same purpose, but just different skins. That's wrong. Each DNA site will have its own specific purpose - a reason for people participating. Just because they happen all to run on the same infrastructure doesn't mean they have any more link than that.

It's like saying there should be a central hub for every site on the web, just because they all use HTTP.

DNA is just another community application. If it needs a hub, it should be for *all* community aspects of BBCi - like the 'Communicate' page, probably.


A Revelation

Post 3

Spike Anderson is sorry he can't catch up on a whole month's backlog

Well...I do see your point, but keep a few things in mind. First, that DNA sites are a lot more connected than all HTTP sites. Second, there are unofficial hubs for the web: Yahoo, Google Directory, and the Open Directory to name a few. They're not central, but only because they can't be. It just seems like there should be a site at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ with at least a directory of DNA sites and maybe help pages for DNA features. Right now it leads to h2g2, and the idea (I thought) was that DNA not be centered around h2g2.

-Spike A.


A Revelation

Post 4

Jim Lynn

But that's like saying that there should be a hub at www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/

DNA is an engine - a technology - it isn't a project. Any hub should incorporate *all* the BBC's community areas, like message boards, chatrooms, video nation, etc.


A Revelation

Post 5

Spike Anderson is sorry he can't catch up on a whole month's backlog

Oh. Well, that's a different perspective. If that's the idea, then you're right. So, is 360 h2g2's 'sister site'? Are these two more 'connected' than other 360 sites, or is this just a misnomer?

-Spike A.


A Revelation

Post 6

Jim Lynn

360 shares editorial staff, and was created by one of the founders of h2g2, so its position as a sister site comes from that.

Sense of Place, on the other hand, has no connection to h2g2, and uses DNA simply because it's the best technology for achieving their goals.


A Revelation

Post 7

Spike Anderson is sorry he can't catch up on a whole month's backlog

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification! smiley - smiley

-Spike A.


A Revelation

Post 8

shagbark

It is rather amusing to read this old post where Spike is saying you need a hub and the italic is aying they don't and now the top staff
have left h2g2 to work at (dramatic pause) The Hubsmiley - doh.


Key: Complain about this post