A Conversation for Being Pretentious

Who'd have thought…?

Post 1

Showpony


That being pretentious would garner so much material?

http://www.h2g2.com/A458480


Who'd have thought…?

Post 2

Cloviscat

Like It smiley - smiley


Who'd have thought…?

Post 3

The Apprentice

Avoiding the desire to appear somewhat aloof in my assessment of this entry - it's impressive. Loved it. It made me chuckle. There isn't much to criticise. It's well written - and any comments about the need for GuideML can be ignored in favour of leaving it to the Sub-Editors (should you not wish to soil your hands with adding the code yourself).


Who'd have thought…?

Post 4

Showpony

Would love to add the code myself - but at the risk of ruining my pretentious image with an admission of fallibility, I haven't yet figured it out. I'm sure it's quite simple. I may have conquered it in time for the release of the advanced syllabus.


Who'd have thought…?

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

A brilliant article.

For a straight text article like this, the GuideML is really easy:

at the start
at the end
at the start of every paragraph
at the end of every paragraph
at the start of a heading
at the end of a heading

That's enough to get it accepted by the GuideML parser.


Who'd have thought…?

Post 6

The Apprentice

However, GuideML isn't a necessity, just a nice to have. So don't worry about it! Someone will add it later if it's appropriate.


Who'd have thought…?

Post 7

Showpony

Thank you kindly.

The Advanced Course is in the process of being written. It should be ready to force down the gullet of a currently blissfully unaware populus within the next couple of weeks. You poor souls. It might even have GuideML type stuff on it - for extra pretentious points.


Who'd have thought…?

Post 8

Showpony

Woohoo!

Thank you, Gnomon. You are a scholar and a gentleperson. Consider your name in the dedication to this piece (along with my partner, who still disapproves of the Matthew Broderick reference - but there you go).

Being Pretentious is now complete (you poor, beknighted souls) and is even Guide ML'd… A bit.

To everyone else who should have the misfortune to read this, you have my sympathies.

smiley - smiley


Who'd have thought…?

Post 9

Mark Moxon

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they haven't been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Who'd have thought…?

Post 10

Cloviscat

Swipe me, he's quick off the mark...

Yes indeed, Showpony, as you may have deduced, this entry has been accepted for the edited guide. Please be patient while the editing wheels grind away - you will receive notification when the entry is ready to go forward - well done!


Who'd have thought…?

Post 11

Showpony

smiley - smiley

Just a clear round at Olympia to go, and my life is complete!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more