Farts..more information.....

2 Conversations

Fart (Definition)
Originally described by the Oxford English Dictionary as, "A slight explosion between the legs," a fart is a combination of gases (nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen, methane, and hydrogen sulfide) that travels from a person's stomach to their anus. When a person swallows too much air or eats foods that the human digestive system cannot digest easily gas becomes trapped in the stomach. The only way for this excess gas to exit the body is through the anus.
Hydrogen sulfide gas, containing sulphur, causes the famous aroma. The more sulfur in your diet, the higher the aromatic potential. Sulphur rich foods include: beans, cabbage, cheese, soda, and eggs.

The scientific name for a fart is flatus or flatuence.

Other popular names for farts or farting include: gassers, stinkers, pongs, air biscuits,bombers, low-flying ducks, barking spiders, cheek slappers, rotten eggs, wet ones, poots,
You can pass gas, break wind, toot, poop, trump, pump, slip one, blast, beef, poof, s**t, s**te, rip one, let one rip, let one go, let one fly, step on a duck, give an opinion, blow the butt trumpet, cut one and cut the cheese.

Reactionary statements include: "Incoming!" "Ewww who did that?" "Ooowph, who let go?" "Ghhod, did a rat crawl up your bum and die?" "Phwawh, gemme ouda here...Jeez-us!" "Keee-riste, do you issue gas masks with that?" "Why are you all looking at me?" "I didn't do it."

The most fearsome fart is the SBD (Silent But Deadly).


On the average, a healthy person farts 16 times a day, male or female...mostly while asleep!!
The honorable title of "most flatulant animal" goes to the Elephant.
Farts that contain a large amount of methane & hydrogen can be flammable.


Japanese for fart: "onara"

Also see Guide Entries:
A371936 Farting
A59168 Farts
A115642 Farts
A390728 Farts

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A438888

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more