A Conversation for Songs About Instruments

Songs in other languages

Post 1

You can call me TC

There is a doleful and rather nice love song by the ageing German rocker, Udo Lindenberg, about how he fell in love with a Cellist, called "Cello"

We used to love singing "Alexander's Ragtime Band" as a family when I was a kid, it includes lots of instruments in the chorus.

The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B
And there must be some song about the flute in the "Magic Flute" by Mozart, but my memory is a bit hazy.

We are singing Händel in the Choral Society at the moment: The Trumpet Shall Sound is one bombastic aria from the Messiah.

And the Beatles wrote about everything. There must be something.... how about a whole band? Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band. Or While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

If Bands are allowed, there are the immortal "Sultans of Swing" ... *reels off, swooning over Dire Straits*


Songs in other languages

Post 2

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Thanks for adding some new ones, Trillian's Child. I added several of the ones you listed to our list. smiley - smiley

We're not including songs about bands in this one, though that's a great idea for another entry! So I didn't add Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. And I'm afriad ox beat you to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps.'

But we should definitely open this up to more songs in other languages! I'll add this entry to the Guild's main page to see if anybody bites and adds some more. smiley - smiley


Songs in other languages: INDIAN

Post 3

Tabula Rasa

There is a beautiful Bengali ( as in from the state of Bengal) called "What Melody does my Veena Start to Play". Of course, it sounds much better in the original language. It is written by the Nobel Laureate Tagore. Veena is a classical string instrument.
I think this should be interesting.


Songs in other languages: INDIAN

Post 4

Pan, the piper at the gates of dawn

Peter Gabriel's 'A Different Drum' from the Passion soundtrack. I guess Gabrielese qualifies as another language.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more