A Conversation for View From the Queue

Another thing to make Subs happy

Post 1

Jimi X

You could avoid complaining bitterly to all who will listen that a Subeditor has butchered your entry.
The In-House Editorial Team reviews entries edited by Subs and if they would see a chop job, they would fix probably take the time to fix it. Putting links at the end of Edited Guides to the 'Original' version of the entry is sort of like saying, 'Look everyone. This entry was perfect before some heavy-handed Subeditor got a hold of it!'
That isn't a Good Thing.
Just a bit of free advice. smiley - smiley

- X


Another thing to make Subs happy

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

When spell-checking your article it is best to avoid Word. It is not compatible with GuideXL - apostrophes, colons etc are not recognised.

It is better to use an email spell-check programme.


Another thing to make Subs happy

Post 3

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Thanks for piping up, guys. You would know best of all what makes you happy. smiley - winkeye

Looneytunes, your idea for spellchecking works pretty well.

You can also do what I do. Instead of spell checking the code for the entry, I preview the entry and then copy the entry's text as it displays on my screen into Word or a similar program. I may have to remove a few extraneous paragraph breaks to get it to check my grammar properly, but it works great!


Another thing to make Subs happy

Post 4

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Excellent thinking Fragilis. Now if only I could get Word to recognise New Zealand idiom, mate smiley - bigeyes


Another thing to make Subs happy

Post 5

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Now *that* I can't help you with. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more