Mountain Hares of the Peak District

2 Conversations


The Blue or Mountain Hare is a charming inhabitant of high hills in Northern Britain. Its main distinguishing feature is a habit of sprouting a whitish coat in the Wintertime to decrease its visibility in snow drifts. For the warmer months of the year it looks much like any other hare.1 Once the nights start to draw in, something strange happens to its metabolism that changes the style of its fur coat. The tips of the ears remain black but everything else becomes a fetching shade of grey or snow-white.


Here in Britain they are most at home in the Scottish hills but can also be found in the Peak District moors of Northern Derbyshire. They were introduced many years ago to enhance the hunting experience for the local gentry, bored of shooting at grouse. The hares found the habitat so comfortable, they bred like - erm - rabbits and founded a thriving population. By a happy coincidence, management of the moors for grouse-hunting benefits the hares too. Regular heather burns ensure there are plenty of tender young shoots to nibble and the gamekeepers helpfully keep potential predators under control.


Unfortunately the Derbyshire hills are covered in snow for only a few days each Winter. On snowless slopes, the camouflage is useless and conspicuous white hares can easily be spotted grazing on the moorland scrub. A good time to look for them is in early Spring when the snow has melted but the days haven't lengthened sufficiently to trigger the hares' reversion to plain brown hairs. The Derbyshire Wildlife Trust organises annual Mountain Hare walks to monitor the population and is happy to report a healthy number of creatures still in residence. Long may it remain so.

1Brown hares tends to prefer the lowland regions but can sometimes be found on the edge of the moors, neighbours to their Blue cousins.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A431984

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more