A Conversation for Special Air Service Selection and Training

A430480 - SAS Selection

Post 1

Researcher 113899

Hey, could somebody have a look see at this please?

http://www.h2g2.com/A430480


A430480 - SAS Selection

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Very interesting. The tone is spot on. There are a few typos and other rough spots that will need to be buffed out though. The opening paragraph is a little weak too: 'This Entry will be concerned with...' is rather a waste of space, and will probably be edited out. A good, solid introduction that tells the reader who the SAS are, what they do, and why anyone would want to go through hell to join would be a better way to start. It would help too, I think, to appreciate the rigours of the training exercises, if you described the kit a bit.

Good job.smiley - smiley

JTG


A430480 - SAS Selection

Post 3

HappyDude

Nice article, perhaps a brief menton of the Terratorial Amry branch of SAS might be worthwhile ?


A430480 - SAS Selection

Post 4

HappyDude

I just came accross a graphic of the SAS badge in the H2G2 picture libary (http://www.h2g2.com/C809).
Here is the code for it :



Happy


Congratulations!

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Who Dares, Wins

Post 6

Researcher 203580

It might be a good idea to post some info about the TA branch of the SAS


Who Dares, Wins

Post 7

HappyDude

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/uk/inf-ta/L28ar.htm


Who Dares, Wins

Post 8

Foxybabes

I would like to invite current or ex sf guys and those going for selection to join us on our private msn forum.

http://groups.msn.com/OperatorsInternational

We have current and ex sf guys here-it works on two levels-good banter and debate and advice and encouragement for the lads attempting selection.
It is a private site and your personal security is paramount to us.
Walters/liars will be binned. Apply with some background/reasons for your application. See you there-regards foxy
ref-h2g2foxy


Who Dares, Wins

Post 9

stormrider

hi foxy,
im new to this type of convo.I have been researching selection criteria,etc regarding 23SAS. I live within 2 mins of local office and am in the process of applying for selection. this has been my aim for 10 years now but have been unable to apply, as previous employment would not allow reserve occupation service(Government rules). I am now in a position where I can make my own decisions and am going for it big time. I am very interested to speak to any one who can give me as much info as possible on selection fitness etc for 23. I would alos like details of any reasonable programmes I could undertake to prepare myself.
P.s
Now the msn rooms are now closed, do u have any new community locations that i could access.

yours sincerely stormrider.


Who Dares, Wins

Post 10

hooligan

* Try and get the routes for the tabs. Selection for 23 has changed just recently and the course is a year long now with obviously only 1 course a year, to that end the first phase is done in groups over some hills in the area on which sqn you are joining. This is where you will learn all you have to learn about practical map reading and be able to pick up on your hill fitness.
* There is a phase before the above phase inwhich you will cover all basic military skills, (a bit boring if you are ex-reg) however it will act as a polish up.
* Phase 3 is where the fun begins, this is where the selection starts proper and has 9 weekends set usually every other weekend with some being 3 days. weeks 1-4 are in groups and pairs. Weeks 5 onwards are solo, this is where your map reading has to be shit hot. Try to get your map reading squared away in the earlier phases.
* Week 9 is the final weekend and is down in the Brecon Beacons. If you are successful you will stay down there for test week.
*get yourself a good pair of well fitting boots and wear them in well before you start the hill phases. Get the best boots you can. I used Meindl Island Pro. They have to be black and military style. P.s they don't like danner's down there !
* don't train with more than 401lb in your bergan.
* Try to go tabbin in the places where you will be training on selection and get to know the areas, this will lead to less time navigating on selection.
* The best training for the hills is training on the hills !! get yourself out the gym and on the hills in your local area and down to brecon when you can.
* Map sheets 160 and 161 will help you for your routes. 1:50,000
* Get a set of Sorbothane insoles, around £18.00
* Try different types of energy food whilst your training in the hills and see what works for you. I use chocolate, kendle mint cake, and salted peanuts all mixed up in a pouch and also a block of jelly and just swallow a chunk every now and then, that way it has a sustained release of energy.
* Don't stand out on selection, act the 'Grey Man'.
* If you do train in the gym train with light weights and increase reps.
* Swimming is good. You have a swim test at the beggining of phase 1. Usually 20 times round a pool and one width under water folowed by 2-5 mins treading water. There is no time limit on the 20 times round.
* buy 'The Soldiers Handbook' about £6.50 from Soldiers of fortune.
* monitor your heart rate in a log book and watch it come down as you become fitter, this will encourage you to train harder.
* Do not over train - Know your limits ! Let your body totally recover after a good tab.
* Recce Elan Valley and get to know the North and South routes as these are infamous on selection and see the end of some potentially good SAS soldiers.
* Get into the habbit of getting to places 5 minutes before you need to. As this is a biggy on selection.
* For 23 SAS you need to be covering a speed of 3kph over the hills. This doesn't sound much but it is as the crow flies regardless of the way you choose to go. Try to acheive 4kph early on as it has been known that lads doing 3kph at the beggining do not pass test week at the end.
* Work out your time and distance yourself when training and log your times and try to bring it down or increase your weight in your bergan or increase the distance.
* There is no fitness like hill fitness. Test it yourself. Try a 3 mile run on a treadmill and record your time, then a day or so later go tabbing in the hills then after a day's rest try the treadmill again and watch in amazement how you bust your time !! It's all down to muscle endurance and cardio fitness.
* If you need any military kit then a shop in Brecon is your answer. Jay Jays sells everything you could think of.
* Make sure you are settled civi wise as this can bring you off the course at some point as it does with many a candidate. I.e Work, Girlfriend, etc, etc.
I hope this has been of some help to you. I could go on forever but a lot of it you will find out yourself, and if it wasn't hard you probably wouldn't want to do it !!
P.s Enjoy it !! It is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. That is why you will never forget it. Trust me, It's worth it.

I hope this is of some value to you. Give me a shout if you want any more help. GOOD LUCK. Hooligan


Who Dares, Wins

Post 11

daringremf

Remember to slap a plaster on youre nipples when tabbing...bergen straps are like sand-paper


Dare to Excel

Post 12

Foxybrew

Interested in attempting Selection for TA SAS?
Get live advice and direction online from a serving member of the current training team-
If you are serious come and introduce yourself -
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/talk/thread.phtml/post897331/#897331


SAS (R) Selection

Post 13

Foxybrew

Now at-
http://groups.msn.com/SASRSelection


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more