A Conversation for Glögg

Proof read

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

I must confess recipes in English is something I really never studied... I'd appreciate if someone could proof read this recipe for me... Thank you!smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 2

Witty Moniker

Well, could you elaborate on the ginger? Is it fresh ginger root or candied ginger? And you should give the size of the pieces.

And, if you mean a whole jar of cinnamon, is it powdered or in stick form? And you should specify the size of the jar (example: 2oz jar of stick cinnamon).

I can't wait to try this recipe! smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hi Witty, thanks for helping me with this one!smiley - smiley

The ginger root is dried, I think, and here in Sweden you buy it in ordinary spice jars, and it is already broken into pieces... got any handy expression for pieces about the size of half a thumb?

Would you say 2oz is the regular size for spice jars?


Proof read

Post 4

Witty Moniker

Titania, I'm happy to try! smiley - smiley

The average weight in a spice jar is difficult to guess at. Here in the US, the there are about 4 different size containers that spices come in. The sizes of the containers are fairly standard, but weight of the contents depends on the spice within. A container of dried oregano leaves would weigh far less than a container of whole nutmeg.

I think it would be most accurate to specify a dry measure for any ingredients easily scooped into measuring spoons or cups, like ground cinnamon. For bulky items indicate the size and amount. I think '3 pieces about the size of half a thumb' is perfectly okay. For cinnamon sticks, I would specify the length and number of sticks.

I now have a new respect for people who write cookbooks for a living! smiley - bigeyes


Proof read

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hang on, everyone, I have to check if the ginger is fresh or dried, and then I have to check how many (or weight) cinnamon sticks a standard Swedish spice jar contains...smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 6

Witty Moniker

If the skin of the sour orange is prepared in tiny shreds, it's called the 'zest of 1 1/2 oranges'.

This recipe is sounding better and better!


Proof read

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oh, Witty, how you confuse me!smiley - smiley

Those sour orange skins can be bought dried in pouches (in Sweden)... and you don't need to shred it, just let it soak in the vodka...

*more and more confused attempting to translate a Swedish recipe into English, beginning to feel she's the Muse of Confusion, alright!*


Proof read

Post 8

Witty Moniker

Okay, then pretend I never made that 'zesty' post. smiley - smiley

Since h2g2 is a global community, I guess you need to be very specific about the ingredients. The better you describe each item, the easier it will be for the non-Swedish to find either the item or an acceptable substitute.

Hopefully, after you go through all this trouble, it will become included in the Edited Guide.


Proof read

Post 9

Titania (gone for lunch)

Are you sure? I mean, the article itself was written by someone who's NOT a Researcher...? *confused again*


Proof read

Post 10

Witty Moniker

Well, I think you just have to present it a little differently.

You are a 'Researcher'. You've done some research. I think you should write the history in your own words and cite the sources where you found the information.

But I'm no expert in this matter. I've only written one entry myself that was submitted (it happens to be a recipe smiley - bigeyes), and it's still in the old queue.

You know, Loony is a sub-editor. Why don't you ask his opinion?


Proof read

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

OK, I'll try that...smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 12

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Titania, I have sent an edited version of your article to you by email. I included a sample recipe which you can alter to suit your needs.

You may pick up a few ideas from an article I wrote about kumquat brandy. It lives at http://www.h2g2.com/A185645


Proof read

Post 13

Titania (gone for lunch)

The only contact I had with the persons behind first part of article I contacted by mail asking if it's OK to use their stuff.
They replied 'OK as long as you state where you got it from'
I wrote the article, and rechecked with them, giving them the URL.
They replied 'OK'.

And that's it. If taking a look at the article didn't make them curious about h2g2, I don't care. Don't know them, even.

Mabye one day I will rephrase this (thanks Looney) and make a 'recommended' article, but for now I will just leave it as a reference for people tasting my Glögg at the saga of Blood On Ice.

And I have polished off the recipe. Enjoy!smiley - smiley


Removed

Post 14

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

This post has been removed.


Proof read

Post 15

Titania (gone for lunch)

OK, OK, I'll do that - just haven't got the time right now, later... smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 16

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Swedish sheilas. I don't know. I really don't.


Proof read

Post 17

Titania (gone for lunch)

Could be my Finnish Sisu giving me a mixed up personality, both parents Finnish, but was born and grew up in Sweden - why do you think I applied to become Muse of Confusion? smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 18

Witty Moniker

smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 19

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hi Witty! How are you today? How's the weather?smiley - smiley


Proof read

Post 20

Witty Moniker

Hi, Titania! It's overcast and extemely humid along the New Jersey shore today.

I'm about to jump on my treadmill for a 2 mile walk. I will 'glisten', but I won't have nearly as much fun as you have in a flamenco class! smiley - smiley Then I'm going outside to work on my landscaping. All in all, a very RL day. See you later!


Key: Complain about this post