A Conversation for Suede. Music. You know it makes sense.

you should have called this head music...

Post 1

bogbrushhair

then we could have written the band history together...but no.
Ah well. smiley - smiley
Right.
1) "Can't Get Enough" is more about drugs. Brett says that he wrote it when he was clean, looking back at how he was. He's probably back on them now.
2) The "sombody" in the comment about Elephant Man...well it's Neil Codling. Neil Codling wrote the lyrics to that one. Mind, it *is* fun live.
3) Coming Up was released in 1996. I believe in October.
4) "The other three" are Mat Osmon, Simon Gilbert and Richard Oakes. [let us not forget Bernard Butler during the Suede/DMS years smiley - smiley ]

Other than that, good job. "Leaving" is a fave Head Music B-side of mine too...


you should have called this head music...

Post 2

Xavius The Whale

I'm gonna go and re-read that. I meant to fill in a bunch of that stuff (like the other names) but never got round to it.

Thanks for the info.

And what's this about a band history?


you should have called this head music...

Post 3

Xavius The Whale

I took a look at yer page. Good taste in music, but who the **** was Adam Ant?

And how's this suede entry coming along?

The reason I didn't call it Head Music was because it is going (ie, mebbe when I get round to finishing it) to be about all the music I can find.

But Whaa! I have lost my Suede albums, and consequently bad things have been happening to me. No, seriously. I need Suede to live.


Or something less nuts, whatver suits..


you should have called this head music...

Post 4

bogbrushhair

we ought to do a band history together. tho I think we should wait until Pricy's biography is out smiley - smiley
You don't know who Mr Ant is???
Blimey.
Nothing mad about that *I* need Suede to live smiley - smiley


you should have called this head music...

Post 5

Glamracket

...weeeeeeeellywellywellywelly-well -


...someone has actually gotten 'round to a Suede script then, have they. Lovely. Do ewe all honestly believe 'Head Music' to be all that great an album? Even Brett himself has recently commented on the "blase" attitude with which he created uno disco. It's throwaway really, from a lyrical point of view. Musically I thought it was really inventive (Suede-wise) but there was no linear coherence. Even "Coming Up" is a better *album* in that thematically it's a short, sharp shocking kinda thang. "Dog man star" is a drawn-out, urban romance and "Suede" is a kinky, bi-barrow-boy shriek. "Head music" almost seems a waste of time in context ; all these themes have been covered by Brett before only more poetically. I can only hope the reports from the Iceland gig are founded in fact and not in Journo-wishthinking and we really can expect some 'thoughtfulness' this time 'round.

...Has anyone heard "Simon" yet, from the new dogme film Suede are soundtracking? Eh?


you should have called this head music...

Post 6

Xavius The Whale

Yes, that's what I got from NME.com, and to read their review, you'd think the album was absolute shite. As the review says "..if you like reading the same book over and over".. I do like reading the same book over and over. The lyrics aren't great alone, no, and some of the rhyming is god awful. But to me those lyrics are just words, things that need to be said, so that *something* can be said, so that we can hear what emotions are being conveyed. The lyrics are a small part of that. Look at Coldplay's Yellow. One of the best songs of last year - with nonsensical lyrics. It's the way they're sung, the sincerity and the belief. Bleh.


you should have called this head music...

Post 7

Glamracket

..yes very nice in theory : the music in 'Head music' is so wonderously empathetic and emotional that the need for *decent* lyrics is minimised.

..however, the actual instrumentation and rhythms in the album are pretty run-of-the-mill and dull, apart from maybe, 'Savoir faire'. In that sense it's a disappointment. There's no point reaching for the stars when you've got short arms.


you should have called this head music...

Post 8

Xavius The Whale

Ah but I think there is. If there wasn't then what would be the point of anything? You need a self-belief that almost (almost!) stretches to arrogance to do things. No matter what size your arms are, stars are, technically speaking, out of reach.

And dull? I suppose it depends on the kinda music you listen to a lot of. I'm constantly bombarded by sheer pop and irritating seventies stuff. I don't particularly care if the songs aren't amazingly new (anything *new* these days has to be totally off the wall), there a welcome break from Britney Spears, 'Nsync and Human League (ok, so they weren't entirely shite, but still!).


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Suede. Music. You know it makes sense.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more