A Conversation for Springfield Interchange, Springfield, Virginia, USA

A422984 -- The Springfield Interchange

Post 1

thurdl01

Here's a new one I just typed up, as part of the expanding field of articles about the Washington, DC metropolitan area. So I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. A422984


A422984 -- The Springfield Interchange

Post 2

Dr. Funk

I think this is an informative and generally well-written entry, and it deserves a place in the hodgepodge sort of travel guide the folks around here seem to be building. One of the benefits of writing this guide from the ground up, of course, is the access to gobs and gobs of local knowledge it allows--and this strikes me as extremely valuable local knowledge for anyone trying to drive through the DC area.

Really, the only criticisms I have are nitpicky sorts of things. The prose could do with a little bit of tightening. Some examples:

1. In the first paragraph, you have a long sentences with two clauses that begin with "where." Split that sentence into two at "off ramps," so it reads "...off ramps. It will become..." Similarly, "it will become as wide as 20 lanes" might better read as "It will widen to 20 lanes."

2. The first time you use the phrase, you describe the interchange as the "Mixing Bowls" but afterward, you call it the "Mixing Bowl."

3. "inforce," as in, there's no way for the police to inforce the law, should be "enforce."

4. I'm not sure what an "adversion" is--do you mean "aversion"?

That's about it.

Dr. Funk


A422984 -- The Springfield Interchange

Post 3

Jimi X

Oh my God! smiley - injured
Reading the descriptions in the text of the entry, I thought to myself, surely it can't be this much of a mess...
http://www.springfieldinterchange.com/images/interlarge.jpg (but only for the strong-of-heart)

What a mess! Whoever designed such a traffic system needs to be put against the wall when the revolution comes. smiley - winkeye

This entry does a good job describing a nightmare of highway planning.


Thread closed!

Post 4

Jimi X

Congratulations! smiley - smiley

This entry has successfully navigated off of Peer Review and onto the exit ramp for inclusion into the Edited Guide. The next step in the process is that your entry will go to a Subeditor who will fix any minor grammatical flaws. The entry will then be passed back to the inhouse editorial team for a final polish.

The entry will then head into the queue for the front page, unless it takes a detour to the art team. I'm personally hoping the art team will do a graphic showing the nightmare interchange based on one of the photos at the linked highway department site!

But the short story is that you've made it, but you've still got a long road ahead of you! smiley - smiley

- X


Thread closed!

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they haven't been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Springfield Interchange, Springfield, Virginia, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more