Chattanooga, TN, USA

2 Conversations

Chattanooga, a city most famous for its "Choo-Choo," but which now does not have regularly scheduled passenger train service, remains an important transportation crossroads. Much of the traffic travelling north-south on the eastern half of the U.S. passes through Chattanooga via either I-24 from Nashville or I-75 from Knoxville or Atlanta.

Tourist attractions include the Tennessee Aquarium, which is the largest freshwater aquarium in the world (but which, sadly, does not have any babelfish on display). The twin attractions of Rock City and Ruby Falls, which sit atop Lookout Mountain, rival any in the world in terms of their cheesiness. South of Chattanooga is the Chickamauga Battlefield, site of an important battle of the U.S. Civil War.

Night life in Chattanooga is dismal, probably due to the extreme religious devotion and the relatively high average age of its citizens. For example, the 2000 New Year's Party ended at 10:00 p.m. On Friday nights during the summer independent musicians perform at "Nightfall" downtown. In June there is the River Bend festival, where a collection of has-been musicians perform over a 10 day period. (Better music festivals can be found in many other cities, such as Milwaukee's Summerfest.)

Dining in Chattanooga is also fairly average. Wally's Restaurant is well-known for being the breakfast spot for Chattanooga's power brokers. Tony's Pasta Shop in the Bluff View Art District is well worth a visit, although walking to Rembrandt's Coffee House for dessert would be advised.

In 2000 the Chattanooga Lookouts minor league baseball team moved to its new stadium (BellSouth Park, affectionally known as BS Park). The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga plays its home football games at Max Finley Stadium (MF Stadium) on the Gordon Davenport Field (GD Field).

Unlike many cities, it is very easy to see all of what Chattanooga has to offer in a one-day visit. It is a convenient place to stop when travelling from the Great Lakes to Florida, but after enjoying the scenery, it is best to continue on toward Atlanta, where you are more likely to find intelligent life.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A418754

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more