More than anything, this is a base for your imagination and whatever ingredients you have to spare. It can be served as a lavish starter, or a main course with perhaps some cous-cous or plain boiled potatoes.
Ingredients (per person)
- 1 aubergine
- 1 large ball mozzarella
- 6 slices salami milano
- 1 handful rocket leaves
- A few basil leaves
- One clove garlic
- 4-5tbsp extra virgin olive oil (preferably Italian)
- Very finely chop the garlic and mix with the oil. Leave aside to infuse while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Wash the aubergine, cut off the top couple of inches, and cut 6 slices, about 1.5cm thick. Season both sides of each slice with plenty of salt and pepper. Throw the rest away or keep for stock.
- Heat a very lightly oiled griddle pan (or frying pan) to smoking. Cook the aubergine slices for about 4 minutes on each side.
- To serve, arrange the rocket in a bed on a large plate. Place the aubergine slices in a circle on top of the rocket, and top each slice with a piece of salami. Place the mozzarella ball on top, tear a little basil over the top and drizzle with the garlic oil.
Use your imagination! You can add more or less anything authentic: artichoke hearts, parma ham, asparagus tips, poached egg, sun-dried tomatoes, ceps, anchovies. Let the sky be your pyramid's limit!
Back to my recipe book.