Puddle Jumping

2 Conversations

Puddle Jumping is probably the most overlooked and neglected extreme sport of all time. Allthough, or maybe because, it is very dangerous and shoud not be done by anyone, it has never really caught the same attention as more moderate sports such as bungee-jumping or dragster-racing.

The whole puddle-jumping movement was started in the late 90´s by a couple of people in Germany. Bored by their every day lives, they (as all extreme sports fans) were looking for a new kick, that would send the adrenaline pumping through their bodies. After trying out several other things (among them parachuting, self-combustion and many others), one of them had the idea to jump into a puddle. After all the proper security precautions had been taken,the perfect site was chosen and after one and a half years of preparation they were ready to do the first test jump.

"Mommy, I´m made myself wet!" were reported to be first words the test-jumper said after the adrenaline-rush diminished. It was a blast, it was an easy to learn, fun sport that fulfilled all of the needs of todays fun junkies. Soon the spark caught a flame and there were puddle-jumpers all over the place. But despite the popularity, the sport never really caught the attention of the media. This could be due to its dangerousness.

Very soon, in fact on the very day the first jump was done, the threats of puddle-jumping were becoming obvious. The jumper (or puddler, as they call themselves) was wet to the bone, posing serious threat to his health, taking into accout the weather in Germany, just imagine how easily he could have caught a cold!

But this are not the only vicious threats puddlers have to face, there was a lot more to come. Puddlers are outcasts of society, because of their sport. Did you ever come out of toilet with a wet pair of trousers? Please keep in mind that it does not matter, if your trousers are wet when you go in, nobody cares about that, but it is very different story if you come out like that. Some of the jumpers have even developed webbed feet, because of their constantly wet shoes.

The most violent accident reported so far, happened in late 1999 when one of the founders of puddle-jumping was caught walking over his spouses white carpet, after an especially muddy and soggy contest. He was beaten up so severly that he might never be able to jump again.

But, like with all sports, if puddle-jumping is conducted in a careful and planned manner it can be a very rewarding and satisfying experience. If you need further information, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the IPJA (International Puddle-Jumper Association), or if your company would like to sponsor the International World Championships in late 2001, please visit www.pfuetzenspringer.de (pfuetzenspringer is German and translates to puddle jumper).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A414424

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more