New York City - Queens - Forest Hills - Local Color: Barnes & Noble Bookstore

1 Conversation

QuickReview: Unwritten Bookstore Policies

Background Story
As part of my ongoing quest to get some exposure to Forest Hills I found the following entry from four years ago. It's great to gain some insight into the people of the neighborhood. Anyway, the Barnes & Noble bookstore mentioned in the excerpt is located on Austin Street (see my Forest Hills review) about 3 blocks west of 71st Ave. I assure you that I have never had any problems with any of the employees.

The following is a reprint of an original posting in 2000 from the now seemingly MIA Researcher 158239...

Once upon a time there was a store known as Barnes & Noble #2713, located in beautiful Forest Hills, NY. The customers there were so rowdy and horrible that the frustrated booksellers couldn't deal with it. One day, Matt, the head cashier, came up with a way that booksellers (and all frustrated employees of retail) could make sure they would never again be taken advantage of: The Big Stick Policy. Named for Teddy Roosevelt's "Walk quietly and carry a big stick" policy, the B&N version was that the booksellers would simply brush off rude customers with a withering glance, a disparaging phrase, etc. Never outwardly angry or nasty, the sting would be in the words themselves. The policy works really well, and everyone thanks Matt for starting it. Customers at our store never, ever get their way, and usually come away feeling like the stupid, uncouth children that they are.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4133396

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more