A Conversation for Entry replaced

Oh jeez

Post 1

Bob (Herald to the ACEs)

I feel like a commodity to be sold to the highest bidder! smiley - sadface I feel so cheap!!!

smiley - smiley jk it's a small price to pay (no pun intended) for such a funky site. Just don't go getting all corporate on us. We want 'the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' not 'The Guide'


Oh jeez

Post 2

$u$

On the subject of being a 'valued'smiley - winkeye member of the community, I was just curious to know how much a researcher is worth to h2g2 Ltd? I heard somewhere that a mobile phone customer is worth between one and two thousand pounds on the value of the company (and pro rata the shares).

I assume the loyal researchers will be given preferential treatment when h2g2 is floated.smiley - winkeye

Just so long as the community spirit is kept alive, I'm sure we'll all come to terms with the commercialisation. After all, the two are co-dependent if the site is to be a success for the company and the researchers alike. No fun, no customers. No revenue, no h2g2.

~A~

*keeping an open mind*smiley - smiley


Oh jeez

Post 3

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Ok
I know that bandwidth etc has to be paid for....

But PLEEEZE...

h2g2Ltd would not be the same..
Nor would h2g2plc, OR h2g2Corp!!!!


Oh jeez

Post 4

Fruitbat (Eric the)

I agree with all of the above. As much as I'm interested in understanding how all of this is funded, seeing the information posted in such a manner makes me feel like a commodity, too. Sure, advertisers want to know they're reaching people, and sometimes the demographics of what they're reaching, but as one of those being reached, I'm doing what I can to ignore banner adverts regardless of how clever they are.

Feels a bit like the Suits want to exploit the daylights out of a good thing, when the nature of the good thing is that they stay as far away as possible.....or make themselves less visible when the do come around. Commercialism tends toward the lowest common denominator and I'm preferential to the highest.....or higher, anyway..

Fruitbat


Oh jeez

Post 5

$u$

*sigh* C'est la vie.

That's monkeys for you.smiley - winkeye

~A~


Oh jeez

Post 6

Abi

Hi guys - Now we don't want you thinking that we only value you in monetary terms but in order to give you this site and all its many features (present and future) we need the capital. smiley - winkeye

This page, and all the other company pages, are our shop window page for future investors, advertisers and the like.


Oh jeez

Post 7

Fruitbat (Eric the)

That much I DO understand, and appreciate: I'm probably going ot have to do something similar for my own 'company'....yet something about the way the information is phrased...or the way that we're reacting to it...creates a bit of a metallic taste in my mouth (like chewing on aluminium foil).

I'm really glad to be a part of this site and be able to refer people to it.....(wanders off, not knowing where to go with the rest of this...)

Fruitbat


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Entry replaced

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more