Part 5

0 Conversations



Demon Drawer had last possession of the security camera tape from the Forum and Firkin, where the attempted assassination took place. Of course, he was eager to hand it over once he understood my dedication at finding his attacker.



At first, I used the footage mainly to determine the actions and timing of events at the pub. These were anything but clear based on the audio transcript alone.



However, I eventually noticed something occurring quietly in the corner of the picture. At first, Redbeard poured himself a drink. Then he turned around, with the drink in hand for a moment. He turned his back to the bar and shuffled to the side away from the camera's gaze. What I saw then was less than a second of motion that I couldn't make out in a far corner of the image.

The Footage



I used a special computer program to lift the corner image from the rest of the shot, and then slow it down somewhat. The result is a grainy, jumpy black-and-white image. But what is clear is that someone switched one Guinness for another on the pub counter. And if you look closely, you will notice Redbeard's hallmark wild-haired and spoon-eared profile1 in a single frame of the image. He was almost, but not quite, clever enough to hide his identity during the actual switcheroo.

Findings



Demon Drawer must have returned to the bar, and then noticed the Guinness closest to the center of the bar. He vaguely remembered Amy the Ant pouring him a drink, and the drink certainly looked good enough for consumption. We now know that this is because the drink Demon Drawer quaffed was poured by Redbeard only a moment before.



Redbeard poisoned his own drink with the alien goo he procured from his ship, the S.S. Redbeard. He then switched the drinks, so his drink would be the one Amy the Ant poured, and the poisoned drink would appear to be Amy's drink. This might have caused Redbeard to drink the distastefully old drink. But in the end, this mattered not at all. Redbeard was able to leave the drink unquaffed in his outrageous faux panic over Demon Drawer's collapse.

Next: The Cover-up

Special Report Index

1Both the ship and a picture of Redbeard can be found at his personal space

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A410806

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more